4. Dinner With The James

Aaron's POV

"Okay then! That's everything!" My dad said as he and Mr. James put down the couch where we wanted it. We had worked all day and I found more about Mr. and Mrs. James. For one, they have kids. Yay. Also Mr. James owns a gardening business. He built it when he moved to this town when he was in his teens. The mention of his teen years left a sour expression on his face. Meanwhile Mrs. James was a housewife who stayed home.

So far, my experience in this town has been nothing but happiness. It was a chilly autumn afternoon right now. I was a bit hungry but chose not to complain.

"Would you guys like to join us for dinner tonight? We want to welcome you to our town!" Mrs. James said while asking my mom and dad.

"Sure. What time would you like for us to come?" My dad asked.

"Seven p.m. would be great." Mrs. James said. It was like 2:30 right now. We had a few hours to get ready.

"Perfect! Thank you so much for your help today." Both my parents thanked the James. I shook Mr. James' hand and hugged Mrs. James.

They seemed like a perfect couple. Reminds me of my parents. Both had people whom they loved. I want that.

"You heard them. Go get ready and choose an outfit. Organize your room, you have school on Monday." My mom said.

I groaned remembering that I have school soon. The glimpse I saw of the high school gave me ominous vibes. It was like a standard high school.

"Ron, will you be joining football this year?" My dad asked. He's always been invested in sports with me. I was a beast at football back in New York. So of course he would want me to join as soon as possible.

"I don't know. I think tryouts ended already." I said.

"I called the school, tryouts close next week. You still have time." He patted my back. At least I had something to look forward to.

I entered our new home and looked around. The picture frames were hung on the walls, the dishes were washed, and the hallways were clear of boxes.

I decided to check out the backyard. I walked and saw the green grass. There was an area that had dead grass. Mr. James said he was going to come soon and fix it up to make it look nice. A pool was settled on the right. But what took my breath away was ahead of me. It was a forest. Our backyard led directly into the forest. There was no fence.

I think right now is the time when the local high school gets out. I went to my room and organized everything. It took me a while to organize everything. I added the frame of my old friends on my desk. I pulled out my old letterman jacket and looked at it. I got it signed by everyone before I left. I grazed my fingers over the names.

Treyvon

Cassie

Iris

Frankie

Ophelia

It was now 6:45 pm and it was almost time for dinner. I walked downstairs to see my parents wearing nice outfits. I looked down at my outfit. It was fine. Not overly casual but enough to show that I cared.

"Time for dinner, buckaroo!" I cringed at my dad saying that.

We walked the few steps to the James' house. It was your standard colonial house. Two floors with a third that was like ours. I kinda wondered who lived in that room. Was it someone my age? Would we get along?

"Smile, boys." My mom said to us. I smiled, genuinely. We knocked on the door and waited a few seconds for the door to open.

"Mommy, they're here!" A little girl said. I looked down at her and awed.

"Hi, I'm Carla James. I'll be your host for this evening." The little girl said. We looked at her. She was so mature for her age.

"I'll take your coats." She said. We handed them to her and walked into the house. The house had a nice homey feel to it. You could tell that it was full of love and care. But there was a vibe that felt off. Like something was missing.

"Welcome to our house. Please, sit down." Mr. James said while guiding us to the kitchen. We sat and were introduced to Carla, the girl who greeted us, and Benjohn, a little boy who looked younger.

Dinner started off great. My father explained why we moved here and the business he owns. My mom and Mrs. James conversed about going shopping soon and what places are best. What did I do?

Me, Carla, and Ben flicked peas at each other like we were in a war.

"I'm sorry Aaron, I have a son your age but he's not here right now." Mrs. James said.

"It's fine. Does he not eat dinner?" I asked. If there was another person my age maybe we could be friends.

"He does, but he prefers to be alone." She said. She looked a little sad talking about him. Like if it was a sensitive topic. I decided not to ask anymore.

"So, Aaron, what will you be doing during your last year?" Mr. James asked.

"Oh, I play football, quarterback. I'm gonna play for Harrison High and I'm gonna try out on Monday." I said.

"You're going to Harrison? Great. Our son goes there too. Maybe you two can be friends." Mrs. James sounded hopeful.

"I hope we can. I don't know anybody here yet. Would be nice to meet someone." I said. I was gonna respond again until a pea hit my nose. I turned and saw Carla giggling.

"Oh it's on!" I said softly. We threw peas at each other while the parents talked. Don't worry I'll be sure to clean it up!

We left the James' house and went back home. It was a great dinner. I really enjoyed it. I got to meet new people in a town we know nothing about. But a thought remained in my head. And it was about that boy. The one they said was my age. Why wasn't he eating with his family? Why was Mrs. James so sad talking about him? Do they not like each other?

I wondered for a while. I shouldn't be thinking too much. I didn't know him yet, hadn't even seen him. I really do want to be friends with him. I feel that as soon as I get on the football team, I will be surrounded with obnoxious people.

I laid awake for a while and it was almost midnight. I looked at the ceiling and slowly my eyes got heavy. Out of the corner of my eyes, a light shined. It was from the room across from me. A light was turned on but sleep overtook me and my eyes shut.