31. Kari

Noah’s POV

“Mom? Dad? I need to speak with you guys.” I said. I sat in the living room. After my talk with Aaron, it felt like a huge burden was lifted off me. Of course I won’t tell my parents about Chase yet. Maybe in the future. But for now, I have to tell them something important.

“Hmm. What is it, Noah?” My dad said. He sat on the couch next to me. Mom entered and sat next to dad.

“I uh… well. You guys know how I went on a date with Aaron?” I said. They nodded.

“Yeah. Aaron. He’s a nice boy. Very sweet and respectful.” Mom said.

“Yeah,” I giggled. “ He’s nice. So… the both of us are kinda dating now.” I softly spoke, making sure and hoping they didn’t hear. To be honest, I was a bit afraid of being in a relationship. After Chase, I guess my mind built walls to block out any form of affection. Aaron broke those walls down. 

“That’s fantastic, Noah!” Mom said. She hugged me. I looked to my dad who had a stern look on his face.

“Honey! This is good! Be happy!” Mom said to my dad. Dad snapped out of his trance.

“Of course I’m happy.” Dad reiterated. “I just want to make sure he’s right for you. I know my son! But no sex!” Dad’s voice boomed through the walls. I covered my face in my hands.

“Oh God, dad! No, we’re not going to be doing that!” I was embarrassed.

“We should give him the talk.” Mom whispered to dad but I heard. Dad nodded in agreement.

“Definitely. Son, when a man and woman, or a man and man or a woman and woman-”

“NOPE! I’m leaving! Bye!” I stood up and walked out the living room before they could finish.

I slept that night with a smile on my face. Another one. Add that to the list. I’ve been smiling a lot recently. Kinda makes me wonder if maybe I’m in a dream or constantly high on drugs. It’s a feeling I’m growing to enjoy. 

“Hey, Noah.” Aaron said, walking up to me at school. I closed my locker, feeling happier with Aaron in front of me.

“Hey.” I said. I wasn’t sure if I should hug him, fist bump him, kiss him?

“So I wanted to ask if you’re going to my next game? It would be really great to see you there.” He spoke low, which turned me on.

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world.” I said. 

In an unexpected move, Aaron leaned in and kissed me on the cheek. My face burned and turned red. Onlookers gasped at Aaron’s actions. I too gasped at what he did. I know I said I was fine with Aaron being open with me, I just didn’t know he would actually do it!

“Let’s head to first.” He said. I gulped and nodded. He grabbed my hand, walking down the aisle with me. Eyes watched us. Some in envy, and some in glee. 

I was out of my comfort zone the entire day. No matter where I walked, there was Aaron. It felt nice not walking class to class alone. It was surreal. No one dared to bother us. We were in our own little world which had a huge sign saying ‘Keep Out!’. 

Eventually, Aaron has to leave for football practice. I walked down the quiet hall until a voice calls out for me.

“OH NOAH, BABY!” Gosh. That voice. Remember when I said everything in my life was going good. I just remembered why. Cause Mack didn’t bother me. 

“What do you want?” I spat at Mack. He doesn’t scare me anymore. Only one person does but I’m sure I’ll never see him again.

“So it’s true. You really are a faggot!” He laughed as if that’s an actually funny insult.

“So? Why does it matter to you?” I said. 

“Oh please! I’ve always known you were a faggot! I wasn’t surprised when you kissed Aaron. Though, I had no idea he was also a fag.” Mack said.

“If I remember correctly, you always kissed me and tried holding my hand. You called me pet names while claiming you were straight. I’m the fag? What does that make you?” I ranted at Mack. 

“That’s how you do it!” A female voice said. I turned my head to see the side hallways. There stood a girl with brown hair. Her hair was combed down to her sides. She wore urban outfits that are by far more stylish than mine.

“Not now, curry!” Mack yelled. Judging by the tone of that word and who it was directed to, I could tell Mack said something offensive.

“Ooh, curry. Good one! Listen here, Mack. I know the type like you. You go around and harass innocent people like Noah here just to cover up your insecurities. I bet you yourself are gay. Do us all a favor and maybe shut the hell up!” She said. I had no idea who she was but she intrigued me.

“Ugh! This isn’t worth my time!” Mack angrily groaned and left. I turned to the girl as she smirked while watching Mack walk away.

“I knew he would do that. He’s all bark no bite!” She flipped her hair. She turned to me and gave me a genuine smile.

“Hey Noah!” She said. She shook my hand, which I was thankful for because it meant she understood boundaries. 

“Heeeyyyyyy… Do I know you?” I tried not sounding inoffensive.

“Karishma. Kari for short. We’ve gone to the same school. But we’ve never talked.” She replied. Kari. I think I remember her. She was the one who let our pet hamster in third grade free because it was unethical for us to cage them.

“Yes. I’m the one who freed the hamster. For what it’s worth, Squeaks deserved to be free.” She added. I laughed.

“Yeah. But you do know he was eaten by an eagle five minutes later, right?” I said while laughing.

“Oh come one! How was I supposed to know he was going to be eaten?”

“Mrs. Frost said it was eagle season. You just yelled at her.” I responded.

“Well, he’s looooooonnnnngggggg dead now! Got any plans right now?” Kair asked me. Not to freak out, but I think I’m making plans right now besides with Aaron.

“Umm. I was gonna go to Red Star and come back to watch the football game.” I said.

“Awesome! I’ll come with!” She said. She walked next to me as we exited the school. 

“So you and Aaron, huh?” She nudged my shoulder. “How’d that happen?”

“It’s kinda a weird story.”

And one I’ll be happy to tell over and over again.

------

before you say, y'all can trust kari. i know there tends to be this thing where some readers don't trust a new character who comes out of the blue, but trust me. kari plays a crucial role later in the story.

ps, i want to apologize for using that word that was targeted against kari. i don't agree with the use of any form of slurs or demeaning names. it was just to make mack more horrible. but once again, sorry.

bye! i love you all!