Chapter 41: Is This Real?

"Please don't kick me out!"

Mirio falls to his knees and looks up towards Y/N with pleading eyes. Tears building in his eyes, to say he was desperate was an understatement. He couldn't let this go and let the chances escape. He didn't want to let go of Eri and even Y/N. He felt that if he left now, so would his friendship with her in his heart. Everything he had built with her would all be disappear into nothingness. Their friendships would be abandoned as if it was never there to begin with. He refused to let that happen.

The man was unstable to say the very least. Everything that he tried to do as a hero, crumbled down to the ground. All his hopes and dreams would and will dissipate one by one. He was a fool to let his overwhelming exhausted emotions cloud his judgment even for a second.

"Please, don't kick me out yet!" He pleads with more desperation.

Mirio then grabs ahold of Y/N's hand, tried pulling her closer to him. Though she doesn't budge from where she's standing, refusing to get closer to the pathetic man. He looked into her eyes, searching for anything that said she still wanted him to stay, but to his disappointment, there was absolutely nothing. There was nothing there. Her eyes were lifeless and devoid of any emotion. There is no warmth, no hint of compassion or innocence. Not like when he first met her. Something had changed dramatically since their previous meeting. He lets go of her hand.

"...Who..."

Mirio bites his tongue to stop himself from finishing the sentence.

.

.

.

"Who... Who hurt you?" Mirio stammers out. He very much regrets lashing out against her previously, doubting her, and thinking the worst even for a moment. In a sense, he felt he couldn't protect not only Eri but also Y/N. Who he suddenly feared she might disappear if he turned a blind eye to. She was like a lost soul searching for direction in the middle of nowhere. What did she wish to achieve? Who did this? His heart was shattering because he realized he had failed to protect someone he cared about. It was breaking for her; for she didn't know what she had lost.

'Who hurt you?' Hearing such a question, Y/N visibly flinches, unsure about what to do or say. She bit the inside of her cheek while scrunching her brows together.

'What a bothersome question.' She could only think of in response.

She couldn't understand his question or why he would ask such a thing. It was not a simple question to answer and nor did she even have an answer. The question of 'who hurt her' was not important to be asked as she never knew anything other than the life she held. What did she look like to others? Shaking away the thought, she spitefully sighs.

Instead, she decided to deflect answering altogether. Answering this question was irrelevant to her. She squeezes his palms lightly, not enough to cause any harm to him. She does so to distract him from his own questions and in a way to give him comfort.