Chapter 45: Grief

⚠︎ Trigger Warning: Following mention's death and tragedy ⚠︎━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━

Large fragments of debris came down from the sky. Ember descended down as if they were snowflakes, and a pungent scent of blood in the breeze.

Throat-straining cries ripple throughout the streets of Japan's cities.

None of them could have predicted the tragedy that was happening in front of them.

People who are unable to move rubble away from those they care about can only hold their hands or cry next to the crushed buildings. People struggle to remove the rubble of people trapped inside tarnished buildings.

Some couldn't take their eyes off the giant spaceship in the sky ahead of them. Some were looking up in astonishment. Their legs refuse to move from their spot. Fear and doubt striking into their heart and minds.

A few people take pictures and film of such scenes around them, confused by what just happened. While some blame heroes for not protecting them and the government.

Children were fleeing down the streets, screaming for their siblings or their parents or guardians, and even their friends.

Mothers wailed, damning the world that their children were not waking up or moving, in denial that their children were no longer with them. They held their limp bodies, trying to calm their breaking hearts. This was their worst nightmare.

Many others were doing just the same, crying out for their friends and loved ones.

Their lives are forever changed in mere seconds.

Memories of this day are forever carved in everyone's mind. This was never to be forgotten or forgiven.

No one could imagine such a tragedy occurring before them. All were scrambling to figure out what to do or even say.

Nobody could have predicted that what they should have feared was something from the skies rather than villains.

Of course, humanity was ill-equipped for such an invasion and lacked the means to confront this new threat.

The entire world is frantically trying to figure out what they should do.

The police set up a perimeter around the main area where the spaceship is sitting. Heroes swallow their insecurities and fears, frightened of what to do. They were never advised to deploy lethal force against what may have happened. They were undoubtedly oblivious to the dangers posed by the unidentified spaceship. It was obvious that whatever was within was not benign.

Could these heroes even change their new opponents, something they had no knowledge of what these beings could do?

Intercoms broadcast sirens, advising residents of the city and nearby areas to stay away. They require assistance and will waive most charges and crimes against villains if they cooperate and collaborate with heroes to combat this new and deadly threat to humanity.