Chapter 1 : The Beginning Of A New Age

"You cannot rise anew if you have not first become the ashes."

"And so I would like to thank everyone who helped save Olympus from yet again another foe. Alas, the giants and mother Earth couldn't succeed because of the Olympian's might!" Zeus yelled out over the crowded throne room filled with demigods both Greek and Roman alike, minor Gods, nature spirits, peaceful Titans and Olympians. The crowd before Zeus all cheered in unison at the mention of their victory over the primordial Goddess. It had been a deadly conflict with many casualties but luckily they prevailed somehow thanks to the seven being able to make Gaea fall into another slumber. Hopefully she wouldn't be able to wake up for another eon.

"Now let us celebrate our victory tonight! To Olympus!" Zeus raised his wine before happily chugging it. Soon the Olympian halls were filled with laughter and dancing. Countless tables of food and wine appeared along with some oddities reserved only for the Gods. The Olympians intermingled with their family, some going to their sons and daughters while some chased after potential suitors who would like to warm their bed after the celebration was over. Overall, the celebration was looking like another unforgettable Olympian party; however, there was one demigod who did not celebrate with the crowd nor drink the food and wine. Instead, he walked out to the gardens of Olympus that overlooked the city of New York which was lit brightly in the night. The demigod sat down on a stone bench and closed his eyes, listening to the sounds of the city he had grown up in. He had missed walking through those crowded streets, the tall, looming buildings and the smell of classic New York street food. A little smirk formed on his face as peaceful memories popped into his mind but that smirk soon turned to a grimace. The sounds of the city suddenly turned into the sounds of war. The sound of cars honking turned into war cries and the screams of the dying, the bright lights from buildings turned into bright flashes of bombs and the smells of food vendors turned into the smell of charred human flesh.

Percy held his head into his hands as he desperately tried to block out the overbearing noise. It was so painful it felt like his ears were beginning to bleed.

"Stop!" He desperately yelled inside his head. "Stop...Stop...Stop...StopStopStopStopStopStopSTOPPPP!"

Thankfully, it seemed the Fates would ease their torturing on him as the horrific sounds quickly disappeared from his mind. Percy let go of his hair and took a deep, shuddering breath of air. These flashbacks of the wars were getting worse. A day didn't go by where he didn't have an episode similar to the one he had just experienced. It was always the same thing, the screams of all the demigods he had failed to protect and the memory scarring smell of burnt flesh that burnt the nostrils. That's why he couldn't celebrate with the others back in the throne room. He couldn't laugh with his friends or dance with Annabeth because he would feel guilty in doing so. There's no way he could even think of doing that after hearing his dead friends in his mind or sometimes seeing them in the corner of his eye.

He knew it was unreasonable to put their deaths on his back, to blame himself for it. He knew that it wasn't his fault but there was always a little thought in the back of his mind that told him he could've done better or that he should've gotten there quicker. Maybe then some lives would've been saved.

"Stop it." Percy gritted his teeth as he tried to stop the intrusive thoughts. "It's not my fault." He reminded himself. Maybe if the Gods would've gotten to the battlefield quicker or gotten off their lazy asses then maybe the war would've ended quicker. Percy felt his fist clench unconsciously at the mention of the Gods. The Gods. It was their fault for making their own fucking children fight in wars while they sit back and watch. Ancient laws be damned! They don't follow them any as they fuck and kill mortals as they please. What could've been if the Gods weren't the lazy assholes they were? How many of his friends would still be here today? How would the world fare if the Gods weren't the way they were? As Percy kept cursing the Gods he suddenly had a startling realization. This was how Luke felt towards Olympus. Luke always talked about what the world could be like if the Gods were not a part of it and at the time Percy, who was naive, would scold him for even thinking that way. His thought process back then was if the Gods weren't to rule then who would? But now, Percy realized what Luke meant. The Gods weren't any better then any other immortal, so why not get rid of them all? It would make all their lives so much easier.