Chapter 34 : The True Son of Poseidon

Walking. That was the only thing they had been doing for hours now. Who knows, it could've been days considering time didn't make sense in the labyrinth. They walked and walked and walked some more until eventually their feet just couldn't take it. Their muscles begged for rest and they were happy to oblige.

"Let's stop here." Percy said, keeping his voice low. He didn't want anything or anyone to be alerted by their presence. He knew this labyrinth. He knew what it was capable of. One wrong move. One wrong step and they were dead. It was necessary to take it slow, even though that was the last thing anyone wanted. The hunter's lives were on the line. Each minute that passed could be a life lost. Artemis was especially of this mindset, groaning in annoyance at stopping for a break. Even she, however, was beginning to tire. Her legs ached and her mind was beginning to play tricks on her or rather the labyrinth was. Even the strong-willed mind of a Goddess of her caliber was privy to the magic of the maze.

"Do you think we're any closer?" Apollo asked, leaning against a wall that was cool on the skin.

"I don't know. I don't think we'll ever know if we're close until it's practically in our face." The son of Poseidon replied with a shrug.

"What was the arena like when you were there? I remember the stories of you being here in the labyrinth once." Atalanta asked curiously. She wanted to know what they were walking into. She wanted to know just what her sisters were currently dealing with. She wanted to know if they had a chance. Even if it was a small one, she just wanted to be reassured. Looking at Percy's face, however, she knew that it was bad.

"I, uh, I don't want to talk about it." He replied, not wanting to scare everyone even more. He didn't want Artemis to give up hope. If he had to give an answer, all he could say was that it was bad. Probably even worse for the hunters than when he was there all those years ago. They were women after all and when men and monsters have control over them, it can bring the sickest of fantasies out. He didn't want the two women to think about what could be done to them.

"Have some food and water. I bet you're starving." Percy brought the conversation elsewhere, digging into his bag and bringing out the last of his rations. She didn't need to know that though. The poor girl needed it more than him.

"Thanks." Atalanta replied, eagerly taking the protein bar and water. She had managed to scarf it down within seconds which made him realize that the stories about the hunter's appetite were true. Leaning his head back, the son of Poseidon turned to Apollo. It was now his turn to ask some questions he had.

"How goes it on Olympus?" Percy asked, causing Apollo to sigh.

"It's definitely going. You defeating the first army is all the talk right now. People honestly thought you wouldn't survive. From what I hear you brought out some unconventional weapons, am I right?"

"I did. Stole them from a mortal military base." He replied with a nod. "How do you know this though? Everyone that was on the battlefield that day is either dead or in Alaska."

"An immortal's presence is everywhere, Percy. Just because you're in the Godless land doesn't mean there aren't any prying eyes." Apollo said mystically. Percy squinted his eyes at the remark. He didn't like the sound of it. The entire reason he escaped to Alaska was to escape prying eyes but it seemed wherever he went that would always be the case.

"Other than that things have been the same. The Gods going berserk at one another, the world basically going to hell, father ordering new demigods to be captured and brought to their respective camps where they'll be fed propaganda about how terrible you are, yadayadayada."

"Wait, what? They're making propaganda about me now?" The demigod asked incredulously.

"Oh yeah, man! We're making tons! It's pretty hard to change opinions about you though since your name is the most famous name in the history of our pantheon but we're getting there. Every new camper is quick to learn to hate you so by the time the great battle rolls around, they'll have no doubts about killing you." Apollo said in a way to cheerful tone, oblivious to the incredulous eyes looking at him.