Chapter 9 : Temples Of Power

"He who has lost everything is a dangerous man, for he has nothing to lose."

"Annabeth. Hey, Annabeth, get up. It's time for breakfast."

The daughter of Athena groaned as she rolled over to her side. Her body ached and she had one massive headache. It seemed to be like that everyday since he had left. Rubbing her eyes, she looked up to find the very man she was just thinking about looking at her with those entrancing eyes and that signature smirk on his face.

"Percy?" Her raspy voice called out as she stretched out her hand. Closing her eyes once to make sure she wasn't dreaming, she opened them once more to find her younger sister, Ashley, staring at her with confusion and pity written on her face. So it wasn't him she thought to herself as she rolled back into her bed, hoping to sleep to make the pain go away.

"Do you want us to go without you?" Her sister asked but didn't receive a response. With a huff, the younger daughter of Athena walked out of the cabin with the rest of her siblings in tow. Annabeth could feel their glances of worry lasering into her back as they walked but she didn't care. She didn't really care about much nowadays.

Letting out a sigh, Annabeth looked up at the ceiling as she reminisced about the old days. On the run with Luke and Thalia, the first quest she did with Percy and Grover, their first kiss, the battle against Kronos. She thought about it all and couldn't help the tears that inevitably formed in her eyes. She wanted to go back to those days which was a terrible thing to say considering just how bad they were. She meant it though. At least in those days she had everyone at her side still. Percy, Luke, Thalia, Grover, the seven, all of them. Back then she never felt alone but now it was the complete opposite.

She rarely talked to her siblings. They were all so young except Malcolm. She could never really relate to them, their eyes full of curiosity and innocence almost sickened her. They were experiencing a completely different world compared to her. She knew in the back of her mind that it was jealousy. She was jealous of her siblings for getting to grow up in a time without war and get to experience all the things she couldn't. That made her hate herself even more for feeling that way towards her brothers and sisters.

Deep in her thoughts, Annabeth failed to realize someone walked back into the room and stood beside her bedside. Clearing their throat to draw her attention. Annabeth looked to her side to find Malcolm, her younger brother, staring at her with a look of expectancy on his face.

"What?" She asked.

"When are you going to stop this?" He asked, tapping his foot against the floor. Annabeth groaned once more as she realized Malcolm came back to only scold her for her actions, or lack thereof.

"I'm serious, Beth. You've been like this for two weeks now. We've let you have your moment but now we need you back. I need you back." He pleaded, clenching his hand against his chest.

"Why? So that you all can just sit back and relax while I do all the work."

"You know that's not what I mean." Malcolm replied with a soft chuckle. Annabeth always loved to work on whatever task was given to her no matter how small. He, along with the rest of their siblings, would always come to her and try to help but she would always say no every time. She liked the satisfaction of completing the work by herself and say that she and she alone accomplished it. It did put some unnecessary stress on her shoulders though which was something Malcolm wanted her to avoid from here on out. He could tell she was at her limit and one small push could definitely end up disastrous.

"C'mon, get up. I'm not asking you to do anything serious today. Just come eat with us. I'm sure everyone would like to see you again."

Although she really didn't want to deal with anyone, she knew that she should eat. She hadn't been doing that often ever since he left, opting to eat just enough so that she wouldn't starve to death. With a groan, Annabeth reluctantly got out of bed and made her way out of the cabin with her brother beside her. The two opted for silence the entire way to the pavilion as Annabeth looked around at camp. It felt like it's been years since she's truly taken a good look at the only place she called home. It had changed so much over the years since she'd been here, almost unrecognizable from when she first arrived.