Chapter 15 : Hazel's Tree

"Treat your soldiers as your own sons. Then they will follow you into even the deepest valleys."

"Gods, are we sure the estimate was three to four hundred? It doesn't look like that's the case anymore."

"You're right. It looks like the army grew overnight."

Percy bit his tongue in annoyance as he and the gang looked over the army in the valley above from a cliff. The cool night air brushed against his face as he eyed the countless numbers of campfires and tents. It seemed the others were right. The camp had grown larger overnight which confused him greatly. Where could all these monsters be coming from and who was gathering them to such a number? The thought of that was increasingly worrying him. If it were a Titan, then all hope would be lost. That number of monsters to take on and then a Titan would be next to impossible considering just how low in number they were.

He had to put those thoughts aside however as he walked back from the cliff. Thoughts of doubt only led to failure.

"Doesn't matter how big they've grown. With our plan, hopefully we can take a lot of them out before even getting up close and personal." Percy responded to friends as he gathered his wits. The others could only nod their heads as they strapped down their armor and gathered their weapons. They needed to do this no matter what. The number of monsters and the threat of a Titan lurking be damned! They came all the way here to do a job and by Hades were they going to finish it!

"Everyone knows the game plan and their role?" Jason asked the group as he tightened a knife sheath to his leg.

"Yeah, we're good. Let's just get this over with." Travis anxiously replied as he jumped up and down to warm up his legs.

"Katie?"

"Yup. Ready whenever you guys are."

"Leo?"

"Ready to light this place ablaze, boss. Just give the word."

"Frank...Frank? You know your role?"

No response which worried the group. Percy eyed the son of Mars who only continued to stare out into the camp, his shirt billowing in the wind with his otherwise statue-like frame. Walking up to him, Percy noticed just how rigid the man actually was. His muscles tense, his facial features morphed into an angry frown, and his hand sheer white from the force of gripping his sword. Percy couldn't help but see the resemblance of Mars in Frank's features. It seemed with Hazel's death, Frank became more and more warlike. His emotions getting the better of him nowadays which worried the group greatly. One wrong move and the demigod would blow up at them. They understood that he was grieving but now was not the time. They all needed to be level-headed or else someone would be at risk of being killed.

"Frank? Hey buddy, what's wrong?" Percy asked from his side, noticing that the man before him didn't even react to his presence nor even blink.

"It's them." Frank gave a simple response, confusing Percy with what he meant. Following where he was looking Percy squinted out towards the camp and noticed what his friend was looking at. Tall figures looming above a campfire in the distance as they ate what looked to be a whole cow. Percy felt his blood run cold as he realized what exactly he was looking at.

"Cyclops." He whispered. But an even closer look would reveal that they weren't regular cyclops. They were the cyclops. The very ones that had killed Hazel. Percy could see their leader, the one he had killed earlier who had all the scars across his face. How they were already back in Alaska confused him but he didn't care and Frank didn't either. Just as long as they were dead again at their feet, the rest didn't matter. Straightening his back, Percy looked to his side at the bloodlusted demigod before giving a simple command.