Chapter 41 : Ichor and Games

https://discord.gg/DbNtv2wyhN

"The stage is set, Perce." Travis and Connor said, running up to the son of Poseidon, who was helping a daughter of Demeter put on armor that was slightly too big for her small frame.

"There. How's that, Marrisa?" Percy said, ignoring the two brothers for a moment as he was tightening one of the straps that held the breastplate together.

"Think I'm ready to beat your team's ass!" She said enthusiastically, lifting her helmet that was sliding over her eyes. The green-eyed demigod gave a hearty laugh in reply before playfully shoving the girl off to her designated team.

"Thanks, guys. We're all clear, correct? No wondering monsters in the woods?" He said, turning around to the two brothers who were fidgeting restlessly in anticipation. It seemed they too were excited for a classic game of capture the flag, something they hadn't played since their days in Camp Half-Blood.

"We checked for two miles. Nothing out there besides the animals of Alaska and one really, really lost pizza guy."

The leader of Camp Freedom nodded in satisfaction before directing his attention to the surrounding demigods who wanted to participate in the game. The camp was split into two teams, each consisting of two thousand people. It was easily the biggest game he had ever been a part of which even got his heart racing in excitement. This would be a simulation of a large-scale battle, something that they would soon face in the streets of New York. While the dense forest of Alaska didn't quite compare to the sleepless city, this game would at least allow their army to get used to close combat and use tactics that would later be implemented in reality. The saying practice makes perfect rang through his mind and he couldn't agree more. They would definitely need practice if they wanted any hope of defeating Zeus's army.

"Alright seeing as how a lot of you guys came from Camp Half-Blood and Jupiter, I won't bore you with the details since you already know how this goes. For those of you who don't, it's simple. This is a game of capture the flag. Get the opposing team's flag to your side of the woods. Anything is permitted besides maiming and obviously killing. Anything else goes. Simple?" Percy said with outstretched hands to his side.

A loud cheer and banging of shields came in reply, fueling everyone's eagerness to get the game started.

"Zimmer down. I'm not done yet." He smirked before continuing. "Obviously there's more to this game than just having good old-fashioned fun. Remember, we are at war so that means we need to act as such. I want all of you to treat this game like an actual battle. Centurions, you too. Lead your cohorts as you would in an actual battle. Implement tactics that you've learnt over the years or try out new things that you'd think work. We need to think outside the box if we want to defeat Zeus later down the road. Am I clear?"

Another cheer rang out in the air, allowing the son of Poseidon to order the two teams to disperse to their respective zones before commencing the game. Making sure he himself was ready as he too would be participating, he spotted Katie Gardner standing off to the side, two bags slung over her hip that contained a multitude of medical supplies.

"Didn't know you were a daughter of Apollo." Percy chuckled at the sight, causing her to cross her arms mockingly.

"And I didn't know you were Chiron. Seriously, you looked exactly like him giving that pregame speech." She replied. The black-haired demigod sighed wistfully as he thought back on his old mentor. He hadn't thought of him much during his time in Alaska admittedly but he still missed him greatly. Chiron was like a father to him and always wanted what was best not just for him but for all the demigods. He was a great person and he could only hope he was doing well despite what was going on in their world.