Chapter 5 : Unknown Fate

Dear Annabeth,

    I know you must be confused and hurt by my actions earlier and I'm sorry to put you through that. I know that your loyalty would always be to the Gods and I should've respected that, no matter what feelings I have towards them. I just wanted us to stick together till the end like we promised each other. I wanted us to live a life we always wanted to have. One without the Gods pressing quests and wars on our shoulders. But I suppose I couldn't have it both ways, living a life I dreamed of and you being a part of it. By the time you're reading this, I along with some others will be long gone from camp. We're going to try to make a life worth living and hopefully, if we succeed, you can come be a part of our new lives as well. I will always love you Annabeth and will continue to do so for as long as I live. I hope one day you can forgive me for leaving you and I hope that we'll see each other again.

As for Chiron,

      Thank you for being a father and a mentor to me. Without you I would've been dead long ago. I'm sorry to put you through this as well. I know you love all your students and hate to see them venture out on their own, knowing that they might not return. Let me just say that I'll be using your teachings to the fullest so that I and many others can live a life free from the Gods's reign. I hope that one day we can meet again so you can see what your students have achieved from your teachings.

Goodbye,

Percy

"And that's the only letter you found?"

"Yes. I searched through the entire cabin and everything was gone except this letter on his desk."

Chiron and Annabeth both sighed deeply as they reclined in their chairs. Never in a million years did they think Percy would actually go through with this but here they were. Annabeth had gone to his cabin early in the morning, hoping to talk with him while eating breakfast but as she knocked on his door multiple times without so much as a sound coming from the other end, she knew something was wrong. Percy wasn't much of a deep sleeper anymore thanks to Tartarus so she knew that he wasn't sleeping.

Annabeth practically tore the Poseidon cabin door down and once she saw it was empty immediately knew what Percy had done. When she found that letter addressed to both her and Chiron on the desk, she brought it to the ancient teacher right away. Now both of them sat in silence, contemplating their next move on what to do.

"We have to send a search party out immediately, Chiron." Annabeth said, her hands clenched tightly in her lap. Her fury only grew when Chiron shook his head in reply.

"We can't risk more campers in a blind chase, Annabeth. I'm sure by now that Percy and the others are long gone. We need to find out who the others that escaped with Percy are and where they're going. Once we know that then we can send out scouting parties. Until then I need you to find out who else left camp." Chiron replied as he wheeled around his desk. Annabeth could see just how tired her old teacher was, the stress lines on his face only deepening year after year. The teacher put his hand on her shoulder in a reassuring grasp.

"We will get him back, child. I promise you. For now do what you can do and the pieces will soon fall into the puzzle." He said before wheeling out to the porch of the big house.

"And what will you do?" Annabeth following him out asked.

"I'll take this matter directly to the Gods. They need to know about this." Chiron said without turning back. He didn't want her to see just how worried he actually was with this matter at hand. It was more serious than anyone could have thought. Their greatest warrior and leader has practically deserted from camp, betrayed the Gods and is now on the run. If this information got into the wrong hands then who knows what could happen. A monster attack could ruin the camp if they all rallied together knowing the Gods's greatest asset is nowhere to be found. Or worse, the Titans could come back, eager to finish the job they couldn't two years ago. All of these attacks were possible now that Perseus Jackson wasn't on the Olympian side anymore.