Chapter 35 : Truth or Lie

It hadn't taken long for the group to find their way out of the labyrinth thanks to a mortal in Artemis's rank. Reappearing in some random forest, Percy was able to feel the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf of Alaska nearby, signaling that they were on the Canadian-Alaska border.

"Glad we're out of there." Apollo exclaimed, breathing in the fresh air and basking in the morning sun's warmth.

Percy had to agree with him there. Although he had only been in the labyrinth twice, he absolutely hated that place and wanted nothing more than to get out. Looking up at the sky, he wondered how long they had been down there.

"A week." Apollo said, answering Percy's thoughts. "We've been down there for a week."

"Shit." The son of Poseidon said. That was a lot longer than he had intended. Two weeks searching for the hunters and one week underground. Running a hand through his hair anxiously, he knew they had to get back to camp quickly. There was no telling what might've occurred during his time away.

"Let's get back to camp." Artemis hurriedly said, seeing Percy's nervousness. Before they could teleport away, however, a woman's voice stopped them dead in their tracks.

"You're not going anywhere. At least not until I'm done with him."

Turning around, the son of Poseidon found himself staring at Annabeth. Her golden blonde hair shone brightly in the sun's morning light and her piercing gray eyes caused his heart to skip.

"Anna-?" He attempted but stopped himself as he looked closer. Although this woman looked exactly like her, there was something off. There was a powerful aura surrounding her and her eyes held disdain, something he had never seen in Annabeth's before. His suspicion was only confirmed further when Artemis held an arm across his chest, shielding him from the unwelcome visitor.

"You're not laying a hand on him, Athena." The Goddess of the moon growled, her hands tightly gripping her silver knives.

"What are you doing here, sister? I suppose it isn't for a happy little reunion with Percy here, right?" Apollo stepped in, trying his best to diffuse the situation but to no avail. Athena gave a pompous hmph, crossing her arms as she continued to stare daggers into the son of Poseidon.

"No, it isn't, Apollo. I've come for him." She said, gesturing to Percy who stepped forward cautiously.

"What do you want, Athena?" He asked, narrowing his eyes as she pulled out a parchment of paper.

"I want you to know that what you're doing. Whatever your father and his little army are planning will fail." She deadpanned, causing Percy to roll his eyes.

"We'll see when the time comes now if that's all you wanted to say we'll be on our way." He said, turning around but was stopped once again.

"All that you're fighting for will be lost. You think you're doing this for the demigods, including Annabeth's future, but know this. When all is said and done, when you're rotting in a field, no one will remember what you tried to accomplish. No one will remember the name Percy Jackson. They'll move on. Annabeth already has." Athena smirked.

The demigod furiously turned around, uncapped Riptide in his hand at the ready. Glaring right back at the Goddess, he watched as she opened the parchment, inside of it revealing a video of Annabeth. Staring intently, he watched her talk to a guy he had never seen before. He was tall, tanned-skin with black hair. He looked a lot like Percy to the point that they could've been brothers but thankfully that wasn't the case. Poseidon personally assured him there were no other demigod offspring of his out there.

Continuing to watch he noticed the two were beginning to get closer to one another. The more he watched, the more his heart sank. A disgusted sneer formed on his face as he watched the girl he loved sit in the lap of the unknown man, looking at each other like they were lovers. He couldn't hear what they were saying to each other but he could still see the infamous three words depart from her lips.