Chapter 44 : Trouble At The Border

My Discord - https://discord.gg/DbNtv2wyhN

Driving through the winding roads of the Alaskan mountains in an old pickup truck that four teenagers were packed into like a can of sardines, Fletcher couldn't be happier. Looking out at the beautiful landscape that flew past them, he couldn't believe he was outside of Camp Freedom's walls. He hadn't been outside those walls in such a long time that it was honestly starting to affect his sanity. Sure, camp was an amazing place that he considered home but sometimes you just had to get out and explore. Get some fresh air and go see things you might not have had the chance to see if you stayed. Rolling down the window and feeling the cool breeze push his golden hair out his face, he almost laughed aloud at the feeling. He was giddy at the prospect of going on an important quest.

Being picked for this was something he always wanted to be a part of especially after hearing the stories about Percy's quest. It was a chance to prove himself. To prove to his friends and to Percy that he was a capable demigod. He had the chance to do that in the battle against the Olympian demigods and he felt he did the best he could but there were still some things he wanted to work on. He didn't want to hesitate when asked to be put in an uncomfortable position of leadership like the last time Percy asked which was why he jumped at this opportunity. He hoped he wouldn't screw it up. He couldn't, not when other people's, people he cared about, lives were at stake.

"Fletcher, roll up that window! It's cold!" Abby whined, curling up in a ball as she leaned away as far as she could from the harsh Alaskan wind filling the inside of the truck.

"Na, it's okay, Fletchy. Have all the cold air you want." Mike pitched in, liking how close Abby was getting to him which immediately caused the blonde-haired demigod to roll up the window faster than the blink of an eye. Mike noticed his friend's sudden anger and gave him a teasing wink at just how smitten he was over the girl before softly pushing her off of him.

"Came here for Pangea and instead I'm doing another damn quest." Grover could be heard muttering to himself as he drove the truck, both of his hands deathly white as he death-gripped the steering wheel.

"Aw calm down there, Grover. Percy did give that bag of tin cans for you to munch on along the way. It can't be that bad." Mike annoyingly slapped the Satyr's shoulder, causing him to give him a side glare. Never before had anyone seen Grover this angry before and it was honestly offputting to the rest of the team.

"I came here all the way from New York, risked my life escaping the Gods with my council, and left some really good friends and my girlfriend behind to see Pangea in all of its glory! Instead, I'm driving all the way to California with a bunch of demigods who have never even been on a quest before to try to find a giant who hasn't been seen since the war!"

"Don't forget that we don't know anything about where to look for him. We're essentially going in blind." Mike interrupted, causing Grover's mood to sour even further to the point of wanting to just swerve the truck off the cliff without a second thought.

"That's enough." Abby warned her demigod companion with a stern look before apologizing to the satyr and giving her thanks for helping them on this quest. "We have a long way to go. Try not to make it any more miserable than it has to be."

That was easier said than done when you're packed in a square-bodied pickup truck that didn't have any backseats and barely functioning heating and air conditioner. Laughing at their misery, Mike did his best to make himself comfortable and tried to get some sleep. Fletcher tried to do the same but with Abby sitting next to him and feeling just how warm she was, his heart was beating too fast to get any shut-eye. He tried to think of ways to start up some conversation in the otherwise awkward setting but he was drawing a blank. He couldn't think straight with how close she was to him. The slight perfume smell she had on her was enough to cause his head to feel heavy. Deciding it was best to just stay silent and not embarrass himself, he instead occupied his mind with looking out the window. Beautiful mountains, a stray animal or two, vast river systems, and the zombie-looking woman peeking out from behind a tree...Wait, what?