Chapter 32 : Promises

Night had finally taken over the valley but that didn't mean the day was done, especially for Percy. Looking down at his desk which was littered with mountains of papers that needed his attention, he sighed for what felt like the umpteenth time. Cradling his hand in his hands, he closed his eyes hoping to catch a break for just a moment. A knock on his office door, however, stopped any hope he might have had.

"Come in." He muttered into his hands before looking up to see Jason Grace who had a rather scornful look on his face.

"What are you thinking?! Letting in the demigods of Olympus, are you out of your mind?! We just fought each other yesterday! The blood on the ground hasn't even dried yet and you want to bring these people in!"

Percy's hand draped over his face, causing his eyes to droop as he looked upon Jason. It seemed someone was spilling the beans about his idea to let the demigods of Olympus stay here at camp. A decision that was non to popular among the current residents of the place. He couldn't blame them to be honest. He didn't exactly feel too keen on letting people who had just killed some of his friends inside the camp. But then again, the demigods of Camp Freedom were just as guilty. Accusations, taunts, and half-truths could be thrown every which way but the truth of the matter was that both sides had blood on their hands.

The son of Poseidon was about to respond but the sound of the dinner bell soon rang out throughout the camp. Looking out the window, he could already see droves of demigods walking over there. It seemed it was time for him to give the ultimatum.

"Let's go to the pavilion. There you'll find out why." He said to his cousin, walking past him and out towards the dining pavilion. Jason bit the inside of his cheek but remained silent as he followed behind. There was no need to draw a scene, especially in front of so many demigods. The camp had seen such a quick but enormous rise in numbers thanks to the prisoners they had taken in. Now, Camp Freedom housed close to four thousand demigods. With that brought many new challenges to face but for now, Jason only wanted to focus on one. He didn't like what Percy was offering the prisoners. He didn't want them here, especially nowhere near Piper. The hate that both of them held towards the demigods of Olympus was unparalleled. They killed their child. Their friends. They burnt their home to the ground and dragged them to Olympus in chains. Now Percy expected them to forget about that and let them into the camp they fought, bled, and killed for. The thought put such a bad taste in his mouth that he could feel himself physically gag.

Staring at the broad backside of Percy as the both of them arrived at the pavilion, he couldn't help but feel anger towards him. He felt betrayed. No words could change that.

"What's wrong?" Piper asked from his side as he sat down at the table. She could see his eyes scrunched in anger, something that he rarely did unless something truly bothered him.

"You're about to find out." He simply said as he pointed over to Percy who stood in the very middle of the pavilion. The demigods, loud and rowdy, quickly quieted down as they looked upon the infamous demigod standing above them. His strong stature demanded respect and his eyes held such confidence that no one could dare look away.

"I've brought you all here today not just because it's dinner time." He began, causing laughter to ring out at the small joke before he continued.

"I've brought you here because I'm offering something to those of Olympus." He said, gesturing to the prisoners who had taken up a majority of the pavilion due to the sheer number that they still had. It amazed Percy just how many were still left alive after so many they had killed.

'Now I don't know if what I'm doing is the right choice. I don't know if what I offer will stab me in the back one day. All I know is that I...we, have to be better than the Gods. This land, this camp, is based on that premise. We have to be better than them not because we aspire to be Gods ourselves, but to one day live in a world where we don't have to send the children out onto the battlefield. To one day live in a world where true justice, leadership, and brotherhood will reign supreme."