Chapter 31 : Old Memories

Night had finally encompassed the valley after such a long day. The sounds of nightly creatures filled the air along with the howl of the wind. In the dimly lit Camp Freedom, however, there were only sounds of agony.

"Get me more ambrosia!" Will Solace could be heard yelling as he tended to the critically wounded. His white gown was covered in red as he along with anyone else knowledgeable in the medical field tried their best to keep demigods alive. But there were just too many. There was only so much he could do before his mind snapped.

"We're out, Will!" Abby ran up to her brother, her face holding fearful features. The son of Apollo held his bloody hands on top of his hands as he tried to control his breathing. Tears pricked his eyes as he looked out at the swathes of people who needed him. But there was nothing he could do and that was a feeling he had never felt before. Breathing in such quick motions, he realized he was having a panic attack. Stumbling over the tray of medical utensils that fell to the floor, he did his best to get himself under control. Leaning against one of the blood-soaked beds, he felt Abby next to him trying to tell him something. But his ears were muffled by the pumping of his own blood. It seemed even they were tired of hearing the sounds of the dying.

"W...Will...Will!" He could hear her voice start to come back. Softly turning to her, he could see his sister's own terrified eyes. He could see that she was on the verge too.

"They need you! We need you!" Abby cried out to him, startling him back to his senses. That's right. They needed him. He couldn't leave Abby or the others to do this alone. What type of man would he be if he let that happen? Getting up, he looked out at the rows of demigods begging for help. Blood trailed down the aisle, pooling around his feet. Now was not the time to feel sorry for himself. These people needed him.

"Find what you can and bring it here. We got work to do." He said, stepping into the thick blood once more.

On the other side of the mountains, things weren't much better. Thousands of the dead littered the ground, their bodies strewn about across two miles of the empty plain. The air was rich with the thick metallic smell of blood and the ground was soaked with it. One lone figure could be seen standing in the middle of it. His head was lowered, presumably looking down at one of the recently departed.

Staring down at his pale, cold body. Dried blood trailed down his cheek, the arrow still lodged in his eye socket. Around him laid at least a dozen more of the dead but this one hurt Percy more than he cared to admit. Malcolm, a man who he had grown up and had fought two wars with, was someone the son of Poseidon wished hadn't met the fate he did.

Looking at the one lone gray eye lifelessly gazing back up at him, he couldn't help but think of Annabeth. His eye along with his facial features were eerily similar to hers. Kneeling down next to him, Percy softly closed Malcolm's eye for one last time, hoping that in death he would find peace. Looking around at the countless bodies, he realized that although the battle was over, there was still much to do. The dead needed to be buried. Their armor and weapons needed to be stripped so that way they would have more supplies. But perhaps the most important, at least for Percy, was to look for Annabeth in this field of death.

He didn't see her before the battle began nor when they engaged in close combat. But that still didn't stop the voice in his head saying that she could be out here among the dead. So that's why he was the only one out here, the only living one that is. The son of Poseidon scoured the miles of land, in search of the one thing that he held near and dear in his heart. The one person he truly ever loved. The person that might've died on this battlefield and he didn't even know it.

He searched endlessly for hours, turning over dead demigods that held any resemblance to Annabeth. Was it unhealthy for him to do this? To look at all his friends who had just died. The friends he had killed. Probably but he had to know if Annabeth was here. The dead already haunted him. What would a little more do to his already shattered mind?