Chapter 24 : Freefalling

~A/N~ I know some of yall are disappointed with Annabeth in this story. I've seen multiple comments and one dude even wrote about it in his criticisms of PJO, lol. Another, albeit with so much broken sentence structure I could barely understand, said he didn't like the drama with her character. Look, I know my version of Annabeth isn't the best or the most fleshed out but I'm trying to do something different with her character besides just killing her off or having her become a bitch. There's plenty of that to be read in this community. Remember this story is about Percy, not her. But I'm trying my best to give attention to the side characters like they deserve. It makes the story feel more alive in my opinion. So, give me suggestions of what I can do better with her character - or any others - besides flaming me. Or do flame me, I don't care lol. Just don't cry in the comments when I call you a fucker. ~End A/N~

The damp, cool air was the first thing Nico noticed when his body began to awake. The next was the absolute, searing pain across the entirety of his body. Gasping as his pain receptors fired off, he tried to sit up but that was the worst mistake he could make. Groaning out, he slowly lowered himself on his back once more. Once he was confident enough not to black out, he carefully inspected his bare torso to find stitches sewn across his upper ribs. He searched his body more and found another line of stitches which were over his leg. Other than those injuries, there were some cuts across his face and tons of dried blood but that was about it. He rubbed his temple as he tried to remember how he came to be in this condition. The last thing he remembered was walking outside of the Big House after Percy had run out. Oh Gods, that's right. Sally and Paul's souls had been dangerously close to a trip to his father's realm. Reaching out with his senses, he tried to locate the two mortals but found some sort of mental roadblock in his path. It seemed whatever it was had stopped his powers from working properly. Maybe it was the cell he was in. Just where the hell was he?

"You're awake. That's good. Didn't think you were gonna make it." A voice from the corner of the room spoke out. It was a very dark place where he was at but thanks to him being the son of Hades, he could see perfectly fine. Craning his head, he looked over to see Jason leaning against the wall with one knee propped up and a hand resting over it. He was in better shape than him but still had dried blood all over his body. For some reason, he knew it wasn't of his own.

"W-Where are we?" The son of Hades croaked out, his throat severely in need of some water.

"I don't know. They blindfolded me once they took us across the border." Jason responded with an annoyed tone.

"They? Who are you talking about and just what the hell happened last night?" He asked, desperately wanting an answer. Whatever situation they were currently in, he at least knew that it wasn't a good one whatsoever. Jason sighed with such sadness it startled him. He had never seen the son of Jupiter look so defeated before. It was beneath him to look as if he were in some sort of depression.

"New Rome and Camp Half-Blood is what happened." Another voice spoke up. Propping himself against a wall just like Jason had, Nico found himself to be in a jail cell. Looking where the voice had come from a cell across them, he could see Leo standing behind the bars, his hands loosely gripping them.

"What do you mean?" Nico asked, dreading the answer that he knew in the back of his mind. He really hoped it wasn't true but seeing the defeated and betrayed looks on their faces, he knew.

"Seems you already know the answer."

'But why?! Why would they attack us? We've done nothing to warrant that." Nico practically yelled, his voice echoing throughout the entire hallway. Leo let his head drop against the bars as he spoke once more.

"Apparently we attacked Camp Half-Blood. Killed a lot of them and destroyed almost the entire camp." He waved his hand in an exasperated manner. Nico almost laughed at how stupid that sounded. Why in Hades would they attack camp? What purpose did that serve? Sure, they wanted to escape the Gods but doing so through war wasn't what they had in mind. And why would they want to kill their own? Endless questions raced through his head as he tried to come up with a reason. But the entire situation was too complicated to be solved through one simple question. One thing he did know, however, was that things were only to escalate from here. Percy and many others weren't going to let this slide. He wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they do actually go to war now. How they would be able to win, he didn't have the faintest idea but if Percy was leading the cause then maybe they had the chance. That is if they were able to escape wherever they were at.