Chapter 42 : Battle of Brothers

My Discord - https://discord.gg/DbNtv2wyhN

The Alaskan air was heavy in the valley. Hurricane winds raced through the trees with such velocity, threatening to level anything that dared to stand against it. Raindrops the size of golf balls pelted the ground, turning it into a sickly shade of brown mud and thunder loud as cannons echoed across the dark, stormy sky. In the middle of all the chaos, stood two lone men surrounded by the destruction that they had wrought upon their home. Their auras were suffocating, both trying and failing to overpower the other. Chests heaving, eyes glaring, and hands wrapped tightly around the grip of their weapon, these two men of war wanted nothing more than to make the other submit.

"I thought you were my brother." Percy snarled, circling Jason like a wolf ready to kill. "I was there for you when times were rough and this is how you repay me?!"

"You're the cause for these rough times. You're just too blinded by your pride to see it." Jason clapped back, mirroring his cousin's movements. "You're the reason for Leo's death. You're the reason for our friend's deaths. You're the reason why my unborn child never got to see the light of day!"

"That was our enemies that did that! You know that! You can't put that on me."

"You mean the enemies you let into camp with open arms?" The son of Jupiter mirthlessly chuckled, glaring at Percy with unbridled rage. "It was you who let in these people that would've happily killed us without a second look had they won the battle in the northern plains! It was you who betrayed the Gods and begged us to come with! It was you who let us get captured by the Olympian forces and dragged across the country. It was you and your stupid self-righteous savior complex that has gotten all these people killed!"

Percy stopped in his tracks as he registered the emotions boiling inside of him, begging to be unleashed. Shame, guilt, sadness, anger, rage, he felt them festering inside, silently telling him that what Jason said was true. It was all true and there was no escaping it, no matter how many lies he or the others fed him. Jason smugly smirked in satisfaction seeing his words hit deep. He felt no remorse or regret for what he said. He wholeheartedly stood by them. Let Percy feel for once what he has been feeling since his child was ripped from the belly of its mother.

"How many deaths have there been all because you wanted to leave Olympus, huh? How many thousands of people you said you wanted to protect have been killed all because of one decision you made? You couldn't protect Hazel. You couldn't protect Leo. You couldn't even protect your own mother and yet you say you'll lead us to salvation and prosperity!"

That statement caused something to click inside the green-eyed demigod. He could hear a sound similar to glass shattering inside his mind. Heart racing, vision blurry, and hands shaking in uncontrolled rage, he slowly lifted his head to reveal an unsettling smile and poisonous green eyes that promised death. It had finally happened, after all this time of trying to prevent it, it had finally arrived. The constant restraint and hiding. The fear of being seen for what he truly is. All of that didn't matter anymore. His mind, the last bit of sanity he had left, had officially been broken. Gods help anyone who had the misfortune of being on the wrong side of that.

Jason felt the air on his arms stand straight, signaling to him that something was wrong. He didn't let that affect him, instead, he raised his sword defensively and awaited Percy's next move. His cousin tilted his head to the side slowly, his eyes staring straight through him. The son of Jupiter couldn't stand to look into them, hastily looking away which proved to be a fatal mistake. Disappearing like a light bulb being turned off, the son of Poseidon instantly appeared millimeters away from Jason's face and headbutted him, sending him flying backward into the dirt behind him. Not giving his cousin a moment of reprieve, Percy was on the attack, lunging at the downed Roman who did all he could to roll out of the way before Riptide pierced his torso.