Chapter 18 : Intro To Demigod Life

Running. That was the only thing he had been doing for the past week. Running through woods, towns, mountains, you name it. There was barely any time to eat or rest. It was run or be killed if he stopped. Why? Well, even he couldn't answer that question. The best that he could come up with was...demons? No, that didn't seem right. More like monsters was the correct term. He knew that sounded crazy and it definitely was but that was the only conclusion he could come up with. It started last week when he and his mother had been driving to some sort of camp. He remembered she would keep saying it was time and that he would be protected whatever that meant.

Along the way however, they had crashed in a ditch. The rain pouring down on them, the night offering no visibility and his mother's frantic driving had certainly been their demise. He remembered waking up on the ground, the wet mud seeping into his clothes and the harsh wind slapping against his body was a sensation he would never forget. It had taken some time for him to gather his bearings and get up before he went to go check on his mom. He never wished he did as the image of her mangled corpse in the driver's seat would forever be burnt inside his mind.

He remembered falling to his knees that had given out on him as his mother's lifeless eyes stared up at him. He didn't know what to do or who to call. Not that he could, considering he didn't have a phone. All he could do was stare helplessly. His grieving was cut short however as he heard inhumane screeches coming from deep within the woods in front of him. He remembered the fear that those sounds had instilled into him, rendering his legs immobile. With shaky hands, he tried to get his mother's body out of the car. He wanted to get them both out of there as soon as possible but thanks to just how hard they had crashed, the door was jammed shut. He could hear the screeching getting louder and louder, making his heart thump against his chest heavily. After what seemed like mere seconds, he remembered seeing a spear land to his side, almost making a direct hit with his leg. With a strangled yelp, he had jumped away from the car and looked out to the forest where there were multiple bleadly, yellow eyes staring back at him through the darkness.

He remembered his legs unconsciously taking his body away from the scene as fast as possible, leaving his dead mother still in the car and at the mercy of whatever was in those woods. Turning around one last time as he ran away, he remembered seeing some type of human that had the face of a lizard peering into the car before ripping his mother's head clean off her neck. The sight of the blood dripping down the lizard's eyes as it ate his mother's face was something he would forever have nightmares about.

After that everything seemed to be a blur. He ran for days upon days, miles upon miles as he tried his best to avoid the monsters that had continued to follow him. Now, after what seemed like years of running away from his demise, it seemed his luck had dried up. With his back against a tree and his legs too tired to even try to stand, he was at the mercy of the lizard people. Now that there was no rain to block his sight, he could see just what these monsters were like. Scaly skin, pale yellow eyes and slit mouths, they looked like something out of a shitty Hollywood movie his mother and he would watch before bed.

But with the cool touch of a spear against his throat he knew this wasn't a movie. This was real life. He wasn't the hero or even a side character. He was just meat to the grinder, he knew that. So, with a sigh of regret, sadness, and acceptance, he closed his eyes and waited for the inevitable feeling of his own blood pouring out of his neck. But the feeling never came. Instead, he heard the sounds of a flute being played from the woods around them. The sound was intoxicating in a sense. It seemed to charge his body with a foreign energy he had never felt before. Opening his eyes, he was greeted by the sight of the monsters dead before him. Some sort of vein had entrapped itself around their bodies and had crushed every bone in them.

"What the hell-"

"You ok, kid?" He could hear a voice ask him from a tree above. Craning his head upward he could see the silhouette of a small person standing on a tree branch. Squinting his eyes, he noticed that the person was indeed holding a flute, but something wasn't right. Their body was way too short thanks to thegoat legs they were sporting? With the figure jumping down from the tree and revealing himself, it was exactly what he had conjured up in his mind. It really was a dude who was half goat!