Chapter 4 : A Question Of Loyalty

"Failure is a necessary part of life. It's how one grows. Without failure, there is no life."

The day had come. The day where Percy along with Nico, Will, Travis, Connor, Katie, and Leo will leave Camp Half-Blood and Olympus for good. Frank, Hazel, Piper and Jason were still on the fence about either leaving with them or staying and Percy wasn't entirely sure what their answer might be but he would nevertheless respect their choice. He admitted that it was a hard choice to make, even for him but he just couldn't pass the opportunity up. Freedom from Olympus, from war, quest and most importantly the Gods was too enticing. It was that or die trying.

Right now however, he had to put those thoughts of freedom on hold as he needed to go see Annabeth. He was nervous and felt more scared for this upcoming conversation than fighting for his life in a war against Kronos. Although he would like to say he knew Annabeth pretty well considering he had grown up with her, Percy honestly had no clue how she might react to his question about leaving Olympus. If the conversation in the throne room a couple days ago was anything to go by then he would have to assume she would absolutely hate the idea of leaving. Annabeth's pride wouldn't allow her to leave Olympus, her only home she had known for practically her whole life. If he was her then he would do the same thing and stay. Nevertheless, Percy would try to convince her to leave with him. He loved her more than he loved himself and couldn't imagine a world without her.

Percy swayed from his thoughts as he looked out across the ocean to the setting sun. It was only a couple hours until it was time to leave. The realization that he was actually doing this hit him like a ton of bricks and made his heart feel heavy. He was actually leaving...leaving a place that took him in all those years ago and nurtured him into who he is today. Percy would forever be grateful to camp and all that it had done for him, the memories that he made there and the friends he had the fortune of meeting. But it was time for a new chapter. A new beginning. A story that he would write, not the Fates and not the Gods.

Getting up from his spot in the sand, Percy took one last look at the sun before it disappeared behind the horizon and began to make his way to the Athena cabin. He tried to steel his nerves and wiped his sweaty palms on his pants as he made his way across camp but everything he tried to calm himself failed. This was it. This was the make or break situation. If he failed in trying to convince Annabeth then he honestly didn't know what he would do. Would he stay or would he go? He had everything set up and the others were waiting for midnight to hit but could he do it? Could he leave Annabeth, his mother and camp behind? This was honestly harder than the choice he made two years back when he gave Luke the knife. He supposed the only thing he could do was leave it to destiny to decide. For now, it was better to just focus only on Annabeth.

Taking a deep, shuddering breath the son of Poseidon knocked on the door of the Athena cabin, waiting for someone to answer. It took only a moment before the very person he was looking for revealed herself behind the door.

"Annabeth." Percy said, giving the child of wisdom a smile that didn't fully reach his eyes. The blonde demigod gave him a smile in return as she stepped out the cabin, closing the door behind her.

"Percy? It's pretty late. Cabins are about to start going to bed. What's up?" She asked. Immediately her smile disappeared when she saw the nervous look Percy had that he was failing to hide. She'd known him long enough to know when there's something bugging Percy and right now he looked just as nervous as when he fought in the wars.

"C-Can we walk down to the beach for a little bit? There's something I want to talk about." Percy replied, his eyes wandering everywhere except her eyes. Annabeth's heart quickened, her mind wandering at light speed trying to think of a reason as to why he would ask that but nevertheless agreed to his request. The two stayed silent as they walked down to the crystal clear water, the moon's light reflecting upon the top. Percy kicked the sand idly as he watched the water cascade on the shore. He hated to admit it but he was stalling. He thought he knew what to say and how to say it but now that he was actually in the moment, his mind went blank.