Chapter 27 : The Slumbering Dragon

"This place is coming along quicker than I expected." Nico said through a mouthful of food as he and Percy overlooked the valley from a cliff they were sitting on. Percy could only nod his head in reply as he took a sip of water. The camp was being built at a rate he hadn't expected. The walls were already done much to his amazement. It circled most of the area inside of the valley and had many defenses such as archer stands, ballista emplacements, and even more to fend off any attackers. Both demigods were in awe at how quickly the Cyclops, Leo, and his crew could build.

"Dad said he would send his best builders and it looks like he delivered on that." The son of Poseidon replied. It wouldn't be too long now until they started building the cabins again which he couldn't wait for. He, along with everyone else, was tired of sleeping on the ground. Thankfully, it wasn't too cold during the night but that would change here in the next couple of months or so. It also meant they had two months of preparation until the next attack came. Percy grimaced as an image of that boy he had killed green eyes suddenly flash through his head, remembering his words.

"You good?" Nico asked, seeing the slight pain his cousin was in.

"Y-Yeah." He instantly responded, causing Nico to give him a doubtful stare.

"Something happened back in town, didn't it?" The son of Hades said more as a statement rather than a question. Percy rubbed his eyes in exasperation at how Nico was able to discern that. Was his stone mask beginning to crack again, allowing people to see what was truly going on in his head? Nodding his head, Percy took the last sip of his water before replying.

"We only have two months, Nico, before they attack again."

Those words caused the air around them to turn solemn. The younger cousin slowly nodded his head, realizing how Percy was able to find that out. He could smell the death around his aura. He must've had a run-in with someone looking for their camp again.

"That doesn't leave us much time to get things ready. We still need to build camp, get more supplies, and more numbers in our ranks." He replied, doubtful as to how they were going to accomplish that in such a short amount of time. The son of Poseidon nodded in agreement. There was no time for them to do all that before the enemy arrived at their doorstep.

"I've contacted Grover about moving all new demigods to our camp. Thankfully, he agreed but it wasn't me that convinced him. Had to get Artemis to get him to agree." Percy said with a slight smile. He remembered just how smitten Grover was about the Goddess. It had taken easily over an hour of conversation for him to get his old friend to even consider doing that but one sentence from Artemis made him turn into jelly. Percy couldn't blame Grover for that though. Artemis just had that effect, he couldn't lie.

"Ok, but that still doesn't solve anything. Of those that are brought to camp, there will be even fewer that are willing to fight. Not to mention how will we arm them? Poseidon's supply of weapons isn't enough, you know that."

Percy sighed, knowing Nico was right. His father's weapons wouldn't be enough to take on an army of that size. They needed more. More weapons, troops, allies, time, they needed it all.

"What about your father? Can we go visit him to see if he would join us?" Percy asked, causing Nico to shrug his shoulders.

"Maybe, I haven't heard from him since we've been in Alaska but I'm sure he'd be willing to help." The pale boy said, jumping to his feet and putting a hand on Percy's shoulder. The son of Poseidon was confused for a moment as he looked at the hand before giving a sharp look at his cousin.

"Now?!" He asked incredulously.

"Time isn't on our side so why not." Those were the last words he heard before being sucked into the dark shadows of the underworld. It wasn't even a second later when they reappeared at the black gates of Hades's palace. The shrill cries of the damned filled their ears and the hot, damp air matted their hair.