Chapter 40 : Goodbye Old Friend

Decided to shoot these chapters out a little earlier than anticipated. I know I promised chapter 42 as well but I haven't finished yet but I'm hoping I can complete it before the New Year. Sadly, I'll be away from the computer for the next couple of days which is why I decided to go ahead and post 40 & 41. Better to give yall something rather than nothing. I hope you guys all have a merry Christmas and I thank you for reading TDR. Enjoy! 

https://discord.gg/DbNtv2wyhN

"Last night around seven, a massive explosion occurred at Mount Saint Helen."

"The state of Washington is evacuating and heading east to avoid the onslaught this eruption is causing. If it persists, the entire west coast may have to do the same."

"Over five thousand confirmed dead so far. That number is expected to rise in the coming days.

"My fellow Americans, I ask you to pray for the people affected by this terrible, terrible, tragedy."

"We will do all we can to help the great people of Washington state."

"Tom, what exactly caused this eruption? Scientists all agreed that we wouldn't see an eruption like this for at least a couple hundred years."

"I can't tell you, Diane. It's as if someone stuck a stick of dynamite in the volcano and it just caused all hell to break loose."

"Stop." Percy said aloud, seeping his wet hair out of his face as he let the warm water from the shower rain down on him. He wanted to stop thinking about it. He had to stop thinking about it. The eruption, Zeus, Polemus, the war,...Leo...it had to all stop for just a moment. He had made the mistake of turning on the TV when he came back to his office after delivering Leo's body to Will who would take care of it until they made a shroud. He wanted to turn off his brain after announcing Leo's death to all of his close friends and Calypso. He wanted to forget Piper and Jason's horrified expressions when he told them the news. He wanted to forget Calypso's wails as she collapsed to her knees right in front of him. He wanted to forget it all.

Staring down at the dried blood that was mixing with the water sliding down his body and into the drain, however, he knew he would never be able to forget.

"I-I'm cold."

Flinching at those final words, the demigod swiftly turned off the water and hopped out. Cursing himself for falling into the trap that was silence, he needed to have something to do. He needed to do something like chores or train. Just something to keep his mind occupied and not think about Leo or the war or the countless mortal lives he had ended. The thought of that made his heart race to the point he felt as if he were about to have a heart attack. His entire body raked with chills, forcing him to run over to the sink before throwing up whatever contents he had in his stomach. He stayed that way for what felt like an eternity, leaning over the sink as his body shook like a wet dog in the cold rain.

Once had no more left to give to the sink, he unsteadily leaned upward, wiping his mouth of the saliva stubbornly clinging to it as he stared at himself in the mirror. He didn't like what he saw in the reflection. This wasn't the man he thought himself to be. What type of man killed thousands of mortals? What type of man led his friends to a barren land only for them to be killed? What type of man promised peace, only to deliver war? Staring into his green eyes that seemed to be shattered into a million pieces, eyes so similar to the ones that had killed one of his friends, he hated what he saw. He hated the man who stared back at him.

"You're a killer." Athena's voice echoed in his head, causing him to flinch at the sight of himself before giving a powerful, swift punch at his reflection, shattering the mirror. Staring at his hand that refused to be pierced by the shards of glass, he wished he could see it bleed. He wished he could feel the icy hot flare of pain. He wanted to feel something else besides this deep hurtful sorrow he had bubbling in the pit of his stomach. It wouldn't stop either. The feeling would continue until the end of his days. Not even winning the war would make it go away. The deaths of his friends and family will always cling to his shoulders.