Chapter 21 : Death Of A Family

~A/N~ Just wanted to say thank you all for continuing to read the story. I've noticed a lot more traffic flooding in with viewership rising lately. That's always a great motivator for me to continue writing. If you'd like please upvote and comment so I can get feedback and also bring in even more viewers. Thanks and enjoy the chapter.

A week had passed since he had arrived at Camp Freedom. A week of absolute uncertainty, nervousness, learning and most importantly fighting.

"Get up, Fletcher! Get back in formation!" The blonde demigod could hear from Centurion Zhang standing above him. Spitting out a mouthful of dirt, he got back into rank and raised his shield high to avoid the onslaught of blunt arrows that rained down upon them. He could see where the archers were hiding in the trees but right now, they had their backs to the wall. Behind them was the river and in front of them was the enemy, the sixth cohort led by Centurion Di Angelo. The son of Hades had personally seen to it that Fletcher's cohort, the fifth, would never have the chance to go on the offensive. Surrounding them with not only the sixth but also skeleton warriors had certainly limited their ability to do anything besides raise their shields and wait for an opportunity. An opportunity that Fletcher didn't even know if they would get the chance to have.

"Frank, what's the plan here, man?!" Dakota, the son of Bacchus and also the second in command of the fifth, yelled out as he dipped his head above his shield to get a view of the battlefield in front of them.

"We need to take out those archers before we charge! If we don't, we'll just be picked off to the last man!" Frank responded before ordering his archers that were in the back of the ranks to open fire. Fletcher watched as enemy archers fell off the trees as they were hit. Before he knew it the archers had fallen back leaving only the sixth's infantry. Frank was the first one to charge into the enemy lines with his cohort quickly following behind, the sound of metal clanging on metal and war cries soon filled the air. Fletcher could feel adrenaline flood his veins as he made first contact with the enemy. Ducking as a rogue demigod came flying over their shield wall, he quickly used his pommel and rammed it into their gut, rendering them unable to fight any longer. Quickly turning back around, he slashed at a sword that came mere inches from his face before delivering one of his own.

Soon, the world became a blur and the only thing he could comprehend was the need to fight and survive. Hack. Slash. Duck. Those were the words he repeated in his head. It was an amazing feeling, something he had never experienced before. Just throwing all thought out the window and instead just fighting was liberating in a sense. But all good things must come to an end. From the corner of his eye, he watched in slow motion as the backside of a sword came into contact with his face. His helmet took the brunt of the strike, but the force was enough to send him flying backwards. Groaning into the dirt once more, he angrily realized that he was out of the fight now.

Craning his head upwards he watched the sixth with the son of Hades at the front slowly eliminate his cohort one by one. With not only the demigods but also the skeleton warriors Nico conjured surrounding them, there wasn't much they could do except fight to the death. Thankfully no one would be dying today considering this was only a war drill between two cohorts but still it was useful to treat this like a real scenario.

"That's game! The fifth is eliminated!" The loud voice of Will Solace yelled out, immediately running with his medical assistants behind onto the battlefield to help any injured demigods. Watching the son of Apollo rush over to Nico to scan for any injuries, he failed to realize that he was being picked up.

"On your feet, Fletcher. Laying on the ground isn't befitting of a man in the fifth." Frank said, dusting the dirt off his armor.

"Sorry." He replied, the regret in his voice very obvious.