Chapter 3 : The Hero Asks For Help

"Although monsters do come from the Earth beneath us, we know better now. We know that monsters also come from the heavens above."

A day has already passed since Percy had met with the group to discuss leaving Camp Half-Blood. All seemed well throughout the camp which was a good sign that the others haven't spread word about what they had talked about the other night. He still went through the basic routines like any other normal day. Swordsmanship training, helping the younger campers with various tasks and going to different classes such as learning Latin. He had decided to take that class because he was almost fluent in the language thanks to his time at Camp Jupiter. Despite all these things that would surely take up his attention, his mind was elsewhere at the moment. There was still much to be done before leaving camp for good. He still needed to talk to his father and get the help he had offered. He needed to gather supplies for the road ahead and most importantly he still needed to talk to Annabeth and convince her to leave with him. A day had already passed and it wouldn't be long until they departed. That meant he didn't have much time left to talk to Annabeth and that was his fault. To be Frank, he was nervous to talk to her about it, afraid of how she might respond.

Deciding that talking to Annabeth would be the last thing on his list to take care of, Percy excused himself from the training arena before making his way towards the beach. Along the way various younger and older campers greeted him as he trekked through the camp. Percy smiled in return but didn't stop to converse. He needed all the time he had left if this plan of his were to be set in motion. Drowning in his thoughts, the son of Poseidon failed to hear his name be called out multiple times by a woman. Still making his way towards the beach the woman decided to tackle the back of Percy which shook him out of his trance. Sadly however, tackling Percy Jackson wasn't the best of choices as it felt like running into a celestial bronze wall.

"Godsdamnit, Percy! I thought you didn't have the curse of Achilles anymore." Percy heard the woman groan from the ground beneath him. Turning around he was faced with the embarrassed face of the daughter of Demeter, Katie Gardner. He laughed before helping the girl back up from the ground. Patting the dirt off her shoulder, he greeted her.

"What's up, Katie? It isn't like you to randomly try to tackle somebody."

"I called out your name multiple times, Perce. Go clean out your ears if you can't hear someone yelling your name three feet away from you." Katie replied with an annoyed sigh.

"I'll keep that in mind. So what do you need? I'm kinda in a rush." Percy replied as he gestured for her to walk with him down towards the beach. He noticed the girl subtly look around for any possible eavesdroppers. Satisfied that there weren't any she leaned in closer to him.

"Is it true what Travis told me last night?" She whispered, her eyes wide with apprehension. Percy subtly nodded, answering her question without breaking stride. Katie gave a big sigh as she shook her head, amazed at the audacity of the son of Poseidon. She couldn't believe it when Travis came to her last night and explained all what Percy had told him during their meeting. At first she was mad and who in their right mind wouldn't be? Leaving the safety of camp, going out into the real world where who knows how many monsters and other evil beings await them and betraying the Gods, basically becoming traitors. Only a fool would do such a thing. But as Travis kept telling her more and more about Percy's plan about how he had an Olympian helping him escape, how they could escape being pawns and do whatever they wanted to do without having to die for ungrateful Gods, she slowly started to become excited at the prospect of leaving camp.

During her time here, she had seen so many of her brothers, sisters and friends die especially in the past two wars. Her cabin was almost empty at this point with only a couple members left. She hated to see the depressed looks campers would wear on their faces when they were called up for a quest or to serve on the frontlines in the wars. She absolutely hated it and always wondered why they would give their lives to such ungrateful beings. During the last war with the Giants and Gaea, Katie slowly began to realize what Luke had felt like when he was still alive. She realized just how right the late son of Hermes actually was but she never voiced those dangerous thoughts of hers to anyone, not even Travis. But when he started talking about how there were others who shared the same sentiments towards the Gods as her, she felt connected in a way. She didn't feel alone anymore. She was actually happy that she could voice her opinions to someone without the risk of being labeled a traitor. And so after an hour of talking with Travis late through the night, she had finally agreed to his demand. She agreed to come with them to Alaska and escape the Gods and try to live a peaceful life where she could do all the things she wanted to do.