Chapter 6 : Stand Tall And Suffer

"Hard times create strong men."

"How far are we out, Percy?"

"I'd say about six hours until we reach port."

"Thank you! I can't stand being on this ship any longer."

The group all laughed at Leo's frustration as they stared out at the open ocean. They had been sailing along on an Alaskan cruise ship for almost a week now and it was finally about time to disembark. It had been a smooth journey despite all of their doubts. No monsters or Gods had given them trouble and Percy couldn't help but thank his father every chance he got. This "quest" was certainly more relaxed than any other one he had partaken in the past. The pearls that Poseidon had given them to mask their presence had been a huge factor in that. It was almost like they were just ordinary teenagers taking a cruise. That certainly was something that they could appreciate. It wasn't often that demigods such as them got to experience ordinary things a regular mortal could.

Percy was the first to leave the deck and return back to his cabin. He wanted to make sure everything was packed and ready to go before they disembarked. Because once they got off this ship, that was it. No help from his father or any other immortal anymore once they were in Alaska. Percy liked to think of it as a blessing but the small voice in the back of his mind said it was a curse. What if the other Gods found them? What if Poseidon couldn't hear his prayers anymore? What if Alaska was just a monster filled haven and they couldn't live there? Where would they go then? All those worries and doubts had been plaguing Percy's mind the entire duration of the cruise. He could tell the others knew just how stressed he had been lately and he appreciated their help when it came to easing his mind.

They had done a lot of things while on the ship to escape their worries about their future. From going to nightly shows, eating at buffets, even gambling at the casino which Percy didn't even know ships had. They even got to drink alcohol thanks to his mastery over the mist, making them appear over twenty one. It was certainly a fun time which was something he couldn't remember the last time he had. Laughing to himself, Percy let himself inside his cabin room and began to look over his bags. Originally, he had only brought along one bag as he didn't have much to bring on the journey. Just some clothes, toiletries, food and his sword. That was all to his name. But his father had other plans and had given all of them even more supplies including magical tools, appropriate clothes for every type of weather condition, weapons, ammo, and both mortal and Olympian money. It was certainly a lot and it worried Percy that they wouldn't be able to carry all that stuff but thankfully his father had that in mind and created magical backpacks that could fit numerous things that it otherwise couldn't.

Once everything was organized, he sat down on his bed, hoping to have a short nap before they docked but after everything that happened in Tartarus, sleep didn't come to him easily. Annabeth usually helped him when it came to that. Just her presence was enough to relax him but since she wasn't here anymore, everything had gone downhill and it was evident on his face. The bags under his eyes had seemed to only grow darker and darker. The only way that he had been able to sleep lately was thanks to the seemingly endless supply of alcohol the ship had to offer the passengers and he made sure to capitalize on that. Pulling out a bottle from under his bed, Percy immediately downed all of its contents before laying back against his pillow. He felt guilty that the others didn't know about what he was doing and how it was starting to become a habit but he didn't want them to take away the only thing that was able to help him sleep.

Before Percy knew it, his vision was beginning to spin and his body turned to a weightless mass before succumbing to Morpheus's realm. Somehow, he was able to avoid having nightmares every time he slept while on the cruise which he was thankful for. Whether it was the alcohol or how far he was from the Gods's influence, he didn't care. Just as long as he didn't have to relive past memories when he slept. This time however, it was different. No longer was he able to relax inside of the dark realm and instead was greeted with an all too familiar setting. The smell of street food, the sounds of cars driving and honking, all the people walking around him.