Chapter 8 : The Army In The Woods

"Do not throw and hope. Aim and fire."

It had been two days since they arrived at this lake of paradise. The group had managed to finally be able to wash their clothes and take a bath, separately of course which really disappointed Leo. Percy had also led them to the cave he found earlier and had managed to make it into a homey den. With the supplies available to them, they were able to make small cots made out of leaves and grass, torches out of dried branches and a firepit out of the small stones around them. It was something straight out of a survival show but it was all they had, considering there were no towns nearby to give them the luxury of modern survival kits. None of them complained however, instead taking it all in stride and working together as a group to get what needed to be done in order for them to survive. The phrase from Percy "Sit and suffer or stand tall and suffer" really driven into their minds as they completed the strenuous tasks.

Right now the group was separated into small teams each with a task assigned to them. Katie's group consisting of Hazel, Piper, Connor and Travis were tasked with looking for any fruits, animals and firewood out in the woods behind the lake. They needed the extra source for food as fish from the lake would eventually disappear if they exclusively ate from only that. Next was Nico's group consisting of Will, Leo and Jason. They were assigned to scout the forest around them to look for any roads or trails that might lead them to civilization. Although this was a good spot for them to settle, supplies were beginning to run thin and it was only a matter of time before they needed to get more. Lastly was Percy's group consisting of only him and Frank. They were in charge of fishing and building up their so-called settlement. Frank, with his ability to transform into any animal and acquire its strength, was able to drag large trees and stones in the form of a bear, providing much needed materials for building eventual structures. 

Percy, who you would think would be able to fish with no problems whatsoever, was the only one in the group struggling with his task. He had managed to catch some fish with his makeshift fishing rod but it wasn't enough to satisfy the group. The fish weren't falling for the bait and oftentimes would just curse at the son of Poseidon underneath the safety of the water. The demigod, although extremely annoyed with the fish's audacity, refused to use his powers to capture them. They were still children of the sea and as such deserved at least the respect to be captured fair and square. His patience was wearing thin however.

"Hey, Percy! Mind helping us out over here!" Kaite's voice called out as she and the rest of her group appeared out of the treeline, dragging what looked like to be a small deer. Percy immediately raced over to them, happy to escape the torture of trying to catch fish that would only curse profanity at him.

"What'd you catch?" He asked, watching as the Stoll brother plopped onto the ground in exhaustion after carrying the deer.

"Black tail deer." Katie replied with a smile. She explained that there was a pasture two miles to the north east which was where some deer grazed and bedded at. "Perfect for hunting." She exclaimed, twirling her makeshift bow.
"Not good for walking back though if you actually manage to catch one." Connor breathlessly said, laying on the ground in exhaustion. It turned out the girls had made the two of them carry the deer all the way back to camp which would have been no problem if the terrain was a straight shot instead of rocky with many challenging hills. Travis, who wanted to impress Katie, refused to let anyone besides him and his brother carry the deer back which was something the younger one despised. He was always getting caught up in Travis's ambition to impress Katie which only led to his suffering.

"Well, looks like we'll have some good dinner tonight." Percy said high fiving the group in thanks as he effortlessly picked up the deer and brought it over to the lake to get it cleaned and prepared. The two brothers watched in exasperation as the son of Poseidon walked away with the deer slung over his shoulder.