Chapter 12 : Healing

"The more you love, the more you suffer"

"We'll stop here. We've walked long enough to avoid any monsters trailing behind." Artemis spoke up as the group of hunters and demigods behind her almost collapsed out of exhaustion. She herself was almost at the brink but they needed to do this lest they wanted even more people dead.

"Set up your tents, girls. I'll get your tents for you guys once we're all set up." Thalia said to Percy's group while beginning to help out the younger hunters with their stuff. Percy could only nod his head as he walked over to a fallen tree. His wobbly, tired legs immediately collapsed, finally free from hours of continuous walking. However, he was nowhere near feeling relaxed now that they could rest. Just because his body could rest doesn't mean his mind could.

Flashes of Hazel's terrified face kept appearing in his head. Her screams occasionally echoing in ears and even seeing her disfigured body looking at him in the corner of his eye. Yeahhe definitely wasn't able to relax. Glancing over at his friends who were either leaning against a tree or sitting on the ground he could tell that they were no better off, especially Frank. The poor guy hadn't said a word the entire duration of their walking nor drink or eat anything even after the hunters had offered him some. He couldn't blame Frank for how he was acting though. To have the love of your life killed in such a gruesome way right in front of you must be affecting him much more than the rest of them. Percy couldn't imagine how he would feel if Annabeth had been killed the same way right in front of him.

"My charmspeak won't even get him to eat." Piper whispered to his left, sitting down next to him. She had tried to get Frank to eat a little bit or even talk but the poor guy was so out of it that his mind couldn't even register Piper's powerful voice. Percy tore his eyes away from the son of Mars as he rubbed his hands together.

"Just let him be. It takes time to get out of that state." He replied, knowing better than anyone else what was currently going through Frank's head. Piper worriedly looked at the man but reluctantly agreed with Percy. She couldn't make Frank do anything he didn't want to after all. The two demigods sat in silence as they watched hunters set up their temporary camp. He could tell that Piper didn't come sit by him just because she wanted to. Her sideways glances and jittery hands gave it away.

"Just ask your question, Piper." Percy suddenly said, startling her as her eyes widened. She regained her composure as she took a deep breath.

"And how are you feeling?" She hesitantly asked, noticing the light in his eyes dimming.

"About as good as you can feel in this situation." He evenly replied, bringing riptide out of his pocket and twirling it in between his fingers. Piper could only nod her head. That was about the same for the rest of them. The situation they currently found themselves in is certainly something they've thought of. They just didn't think it would happen so soon. To lose Hazel, a sweet girl and a good friend, like that hit them hard.

"That's not all you want to ask me though, is it?" Percy interrupted her thoughts. She looked over at him, not noticing that his eyes were already on her. She openly stared into his unflinching sea green eyes, noticing that they seemed to contain untold amounts of emotion. Emotions like rage, anger, sadness, and regret, were on full display. Since when did Percy's gaze age by years in such a short time she wondered. And when did he become so insightful to know that she still had unanswered questions?

"When do you gain...those powers?" She asked him, bracing herself for him to explode. But the son of Poseidon didn't, only sighing deeply as he put his pen back in his pocket. He really didn't want to talk about his powers or even think about them at the moment. But Piper deserved an explanation though. To see him act like that and do all those things to Ares must've really shocked and scared her. That was the last thing he wanted. Maybe telling her would help ease her worry, it seemed to work for the others when he told them about his powers earlier.