Chapter 3

"This might all seem sudden, but Miss Peregrine will be sure to explain everything." Emma says as she holds the reins to the horse.

"Are you alright?" I hear the boy with the eyeglass ask. I think his name was Horace. I nod even though it was a lie. "You're very quiet." He points out. "I remember Jacob wouldn't be quiet when we first found him."

"We're here." Emma says and I notice the thicket surrounding a tall building. One that was supposed to be burnt down because of the war. The horse comes near the home and I seen a girl outside in the garden along with a few others. This can't be real.

Emma gets off the carriage along with the others and I follow them off as they near the entrance to the building. All the new sights and people made me just want to freeze up and leave, but my legs wouldn't follow. What if I did something incredibly stupid following them here?

The door opens and I see the woman from earlier who goes by Miss Peregrine. She smiles when she sees us as she puts her pocket watch away.

"Right on time." She says as she moves from the doorway for us to walk in. Horace and the other two stay outside as Olive comes in with us heading towards the kitchen.

"Now this must all be a surprise." She says when she sees the look on my face and smiles warmly towards me. What if I'm going crazy? What if this is all a dream? Yes, it could be. Dave was telling me about it and then I'm just dreaming.

"I assure you that you're not dreaming nor going crazy." She says as if she read my mind. I give her a surprised look when she turned towards the kitchen and I decided to follow. "Would you like some tea?" I nod with a small smile to be polite but I was still on edge a bit worried. "That will be warm enough, Emma. Thank you." The redhead takes her hands off the sides of the kettle, slipping her black gloves on afterwards. She leaves the kitchen and gave me a smile before walking out. Miss Peregrine poured the water into two mugs as she handed me one. I smile as a thank you and follow her out of the kitchen.

We made our way to the back of the home which I assumed was the garden where the girl from earlier was working in.

"I can tell you're still very confused so allow me to explain. You are in what we call a time loop." I give her a confused look. "Ours is set in September 3, 1940. A ymbryne, such as myself, sets up the loop in which time is repeated." I jump when I hear a voice behind me and Miss Peregrine glances over at a boy behind me. "Mr Portman." She greets and he smiles when he sees me.

"This is y/n?" He asks in which she nods. "It's nice to meet you." He says and holds his hand out in which I hold mine out as well.

"You're very quiet." I look over at the girl in the garden, not noticing the warning glare on Miss Peregrine face.

"Jacob, we can do introductions then. At the moment I need to explain everything." She says and he nods going over to Emma who stood over by the tree near the garden. "Now then, because of the loop time repeats itself. As a ymbryne, I have to reset the loop to bring it back to the original time."

"She can also turn into a falcon!" Fiona said excitedly which made her smile a bit.

"Yes, but if you ask me that's not the most important part of being a ymbryne." She says. I have so many questions I want to ask but I can't. "I'd imagine you're wondering how I know you?" She says and I nod. "Well, only peculiars can enter the loop as you might already know. I sometimes travel out of the loop in search of peculiars and came across you." She says and I can't help but feel a little less uneasy when she sent me a small smile. "I will go introduce the others." She says and ushers me forward with her as she places a hand behind me.

The peculiars introduced themselves and with a little more explaining, I learned about their talents in which they call peculiaritys. I'm glad no one made me introduce myself as I was having a hard time finding my words and my voice could not be found. Miss Peregrine eventually walked inside with me while the children were busy outside.

"This must be a lot to take in, are you feeling alright?" She asks and I nod as I quick give her a smile. She gave me a look that made me think she didn't believe me. "Alright. I have to gather the children for dinner tonight. Sorry, I haven't even introduced myself yet. I'm Miss Alma LeFay Peregrine, but you may call me Alma since you're close to my age." She sends me a small smile in which I return. "Will you be staying tonight?" She asks and I thought for a moment. Am I?

"If you are unsure, just let me know after reset." She says gently. I could hear footsteps run down the stairs and without even turning around, Miss a Peregrine smiled.

"Mr Nullings, would you mind gathering the others for dinner?" She asks and he stops midway as she turns to face him with a smile. He nods as he heads outside. She then turns to face me, the smile still there. "Will you be alright with the others while I set the table?" She asks.

"I can help." I say quietly, not realizing that's the first I've said to them all day. Something about her makes me less nervous. She quickly covered her surprise when I spoke and brushed my hair back with her taloned fingers.

"There's no need to. You're the guest." She says and then leaves towards the kitchen.
~~~~~~~~~~~