Chapter 27

"What were you going to tell Miss P?"

I look behind my shoulder to see Emma leaning against the door frame. A smirk played on her lips and I roll my eyes with a scoff as I look back at the dishes I was cleaning. It was a little after breakfast and I wanted to give Alma a break from cleaning them.

"You would like to know." I mumble.

"Sorry I interrupted, I honestly was curious to what you were going to say but it was too late." She says and I can't help but smile. There was a moment of silence before I hear her again.

"You love her, don't you?" She says and I feel myself burning up. I nod.

"Yes. I do." I reply my voice quiet and she smiles.

"I'm glad it's you she met." She says and I look over at her. "It's been a while since Miss P has been this happy. I'm glad it's you who made it here."

"I'm glad too." I reply.
~~~~~

"Y/n, may I see you at the garden?" Alma asks as I was drying my hands and turned off the sink.

"Of course." I say and she walks outside to where the garden was. I put the last plate back and make my way to the entrance of the garden where I soon seen Alma waiting, glancing at her pocket watch. She looks up when she hears me and sends me a small smile. The pain in my neck still remained, but anytime I see her it makes me forget all about it.

"What do you need?" I ask.

"Well, last night we discussed about trying to find your peculiarity. I still predict that you may be a ymbryne." She says and I raise an eyebrow at her thought.

"I'm not a-"

"I know you think you're not, but how do you know  unless you try?" She says and I smile.

"You've got me there." I say and she smiles.

"Well then, come along. We'll need a wide open area for you to practice." She says and I follow her outside the garden. She finds an area mainly surrounded by brush and turns around to face me.

"What exactly happens if I am a ymbryne?" I ask.

"Well, my hope if that you will be able to shift into a bird as I am able to. Time manipulation will take a bit more time to learn." She says and I nod in understanding. "Now, I want you to follow my lead. Focusing on something helps you a bit more than having distractions."

"Alright." With that she flips back and shifts into a peregrine falcon. She fluffs out her wing feathers before shifting back into her normal self.

"Now your turn." She says with a supportive smile. I try to smile away my nerves but it doesn't help. What if I'm not a ymbryne and she wasted her time trying to help me?

"Stop thinking about it." I hear her say. "The more you think about it, the more you doubt yourself."

She has a point.

I try to focus on something, so I decide to think about her. Every detail and trait I know about her and-

"MISS PEREGRINE!"

I jumped from the outburst and suddenly realized everyone got taller. Or did I get smaller? I look around quickly despite the pain in my neck that worsened and seen Hugh behind me.

"Oh. My. Birds." He says as his jaw drops at me. "She's a ymbryne?!" Alma chuckles and I quickly look over myself. I turned into a bird. I can't believe it. I can't believe she was right!

"A bluejay by the looks of it." I hear Emmas voice from behind me. I still can't believe it. Everything around me felt so different, it was sort of overwhelming.

"Are you able to shift back?" I hear someone from the side of me say. It was Alma who was now kneeled down beside me. I tilt my head in confusion. How do I do that? I was only able to shift since Hugh scared me.

"Hugh, try scaring her again." Emma says and Alma sends her a look that says not to. She faces me again as she picks me up with both of her hands.

"Children, get the others distracted for a bit while I help y/n." She says as she walks into the home. She passes the front door as she carries me gently in the palms of her hands. My feathers puffed out a bit from the panic building up, but I feel her flatten them out. "Don't panic, you'll be back in no time." She assures me. She walks towards the kitchen when suddenly I felt myself shift back. Instead of falling to the ground I was being carried in her arms as she paused at the doorway when she seen me shift back.

"Well, that didn't take long." She says with a grin as I sheepishly grin back, my face burning. "I told you." She says and I roll my eyes, the grin still on my face. "Which reminds me, what were you going to tell me earlier?" She says with a smirk and I feel myself burning up even more.

"I-I can't remember." I stumble at my wording as Alma raises an eyebrow with a grin.

"Oh really? Maybe this will remind you." She says and suddenly I felt her lips back on mine, just like the night before but this time there was more to it. It wasn't just us joking, this was happening. She knew how I felt this whole time apparently.

And today I found out she felt the same.
~~~~~~~~~~~