Chapter 10

"Off to bed now, children. I will be up shortly." Alma says as the children make their way upstairs leaving me and her behind. "Dear, go sit down. We have a lot we should talk about." She says solemnly and I listen, not wanting to push her further. I sit on the edge of the couch, my leg bouncing slightly as it always does when my nerves are high. I hear Alma sigh and place her hand on my knee, stopping it from moving.

"I'm not upset with you." She assures and I must admit that it helped a little. She takes a seat across from me, her hand slowly sliding off my knee before she did. "Something has been on your mind and I suspect that it has been for a while. Not just when you got into the loop." Her eyes narrow as she speaks and I feel as if every part of me is being pried open. I don't want her to find out. I don't want to think about it-

"Y/n." I look back over and see her expression soften. "Can you please tell me?"

Should I? If I do, what will she say? I will admit I should have done more to avoid it even happening. I was unable to though. His grip was too strong. I can smell the leaves again as the dark bitter smell of blood came. His hands gripping onto my arms causing a strong pulse in my head-

I snap out of it. I can't talk about this. I don't want to think of it.

"I am fine. Nothing is on my mind." I say finally, my voice weak as always. I hear a small sigh from her that I knew was probably either disappointment or something else.

"Alright." She says and there was a small silence that followed.

"You don't mind me staying here, do you?" I ask suddenly and she looks up at me surprised at the question.

"Of course not."

"And you know I'm not hiding anything, right?" I ask and I see the confusion seep through her expression.

"I know you're hiding something, but it's not anything that I know would put us in danger." She says firmly.

"I'm not leading you into a trap." I say my voice accidently trembling near the end. "I would never do that to any of you, please tell me you know that." I assure her, not realizing my eyes brimming with tears. She doesn't respond as she gave me a hurt look, but glanced down. She couldn't lie to me. I knew how she felt. She thinks I'm leading them all into a trap. It's instinct to think that.
But even still, it still hurt.

"Y/n, I just-"

"It's fine. I understand." I say before standing and going towards the staircase when I suddenly feel her taloned hand grab my arm as she tries to turn me around, but instead I flinch as I trip back words on the stairs and back away for a moment. Her shocked and concerned look makes me look down as I try to compose myself.

"Love, look at me." She says her voice gentle and I have no choice but look up at her. Her hurt eyes find mine.

"Who hurt you?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~