Chapter 5

I woke up before I could see the sun came up. It was probably close to 5:00. I look over at Jacob and sure enough, he was in bed still sleeping. Gosh, it is so freezing in the morning. I didn't plan on taking anything warm to wear.

I stand from the bed and slowly make my way to the door. Might as well head downstairs in hopes someone was up. I quietly open the door and slowly make my way downstairs, hoping I wasn't being loud. When I reach the bottom of the steps, I peeked into the living room and felt a small pang of disappointment when I thought I would see Alma. Why though?

"You're up early." I jump at the voice and glance over behind me to see her in her usual navy blue outfit. She gave me a surprised smile and I offered her one back. "Do you need anything?" I shake my head and she chuckles. "You are very quiet." She says and I feel my stomach flutter at the noise.

"Sorry." I say quietly and she gave me a warm look.

"Don't apologize, dear." She says gently and walks through the kitchen doorway warming up the tea kettle. I stand aside, leaning against the doorway not wanting to get in the way. My thoughts linger over to Dave for a moment. He would still be in bed for about another hour, if my timing was correct. I was abruptly thrown back out of my thoughts when I felt Miss Peregrine's warm hand envelope my cold one. I glance up an meet her concerned look.

"Are you cold?" She says and before I could answer she left coming shortly back with what seemed to be a different coat she owned. Without any word she slipped it through my arms before sending me a soft smile as I felt myself burning up more than usual. Was the jacket really that hot?

"Now just for a heads up when the children come down feel free to let me or them know if they are questioning you too much. After all, you are the guest here at the home, not at an interrogation." She says as she heads towards the kettle that was heating up and she turns off the burner. "Would you like some tea?" She asks and I nod. She takes out two mugs, handing me one and poured the hot water into both. Afterwards I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and looked over to see Emma.

"Goodmorning." She says with a grin as she looks between the two of us. "You two are up early." Why is this making me blush?

"Good morning." I say quietly but I don't think they heard it when Millard came tumbling down the stairs. What seemed to just be a floating pair of clothes rolling down the stairs, it suddenly stood as Emma rolled her eyes.

"Sorry, Miss P." He says when he catches her look and runs off to the outside.

"He seems in a rush." Emma says and I spot Alma looking out the window, confused as to what the boy was doing. She raises an eyebrow as the boy rolled around on the ground trying to get something off of him.

"Miss Bloom, go check on him." She says, her gaze still on him as if she's watching a deranged lunatic. Emma walks out and after a few minutes, Millard and her came back in.

"He said there was a spider on him." She says with an eye roll as Miss Peregrine looks between the two a smile trying not to show.

"It was a big spider!" He says offended as Emma scoffs.

"It was just a spider." She says and I could picture the look he was giving her.

"A big spider!"

"Children, that's enough. Now, go wake the others." Miss Peregrine interrupts, though I know she secretly enjoyed the debate. Emma and Millard head upstairs, still exchanging insults on the way. I hear her chuckle from the side of the room before going to prepare breakfast.

"I call pancakes!!" I hear a voice yell loudly over the railing, startling me for a moment before I look over with a confused grin.

"Hugh, what have I said about not yelling." Alma says with an exasperated look as she poured the mix into the bowl.

"Sorry!" He yells again and I smile. This household is very chaotic, but they all act as a family. It's adorable.

"Dear, would it be alright if-"

A knock on the door stops her and she glances over confused. Hugh came walking down with Enoch and Miss Peregrine gave them a confused stern look.

"Were you two at the pub?" She accuses and they shake their heads. She gives them a look before walking towards the door and opening it revealing a man who looked vaguely familiar.

"Hey, I'm looking for y/n." He says and I then recognize him.

It's Dave.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~