Chapter 40

I wasn't planning the book to go this far-
Anyways!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

"How's your head?" Alma asks as she brought her pipe out and watched the children carefully outdoors. I was sitting at the table, my leg bouncing slightly up and down as it's a horrible habit.

"Better than how it was earlier." I say which makes her laugh. Suddenly her demeanor sharply took a turn when she looked towards the door.

"Is something wrong?" I ask and she shakes her head.

"No, I forgot to mention Miss Avocet was visiting." She says as she walks towards the door.

"What?!" I say, my anxiety creeping in as it might have been helpful to have a warning someone was visiting. She smiles at my outburst.

"Love, you'll be fine. I forgot to mention it as the children distracted us." She says and before I could speak, she opens the door. An older woman stood on the other side who seemed to be a bit friendly but more so intimidating.

"Miss Avocet, please do come in." Alma says with a polite smile and Miss Avocet nodded her a thank you.

"Oh, you must be y/n. I've heard about you through one of Almas letters." Avocet says as she casts me a smile when she sees me. To be polite I stand from my chair and greet her, when suddenly the woman sends me a grin.

"I heard Alma found someone of her own." She says and I feel myself burn up which makes her laugh. "Alma really did say you get flustered easily."

"I do not and she knows that." I say with a smile as I cast Alma a look and try to force myself to be social for once.

"We have a lot we must catch up on." Alma says and motions us towards the living room where Avocet walks in first, me second and Alma hot on my heels behind me. I take a seat on the couch, Miss Avocet sits on the chair across from it.

"I'll be back in a minute." Alma says before leaving the room to head outside, possibly to make sure the others aren't planning anything chaotic.

"Now how did you two meet?" Miss Avocet asks me and I smile at the thought.

"I accidently came across the loop and since things built up from there." I say and she hums in acknowledgement.

"You're a ymbryne, correct?" She asks and I nod, a bit taken off by the question but not wanting to be rude.

"Well, there was a matter I wanted to discuss with you." She says, hopefully not realizing my leg that gently bounced from my god damn nerves.

"Yes?"

"As someone who has ran loops and have taught others about them, there are still more that have to be either owned or made." She says and I feel panic clutch inside my chest. "I was just wondering dear, if maybe would you be able to leave and start a loop of your own?"

No. I don't want to leave. I finally made a home here. A family. I just can't leave.

"Just think about it, alright? I'll speak to Alma about it then." Still wanting to be polite, I smile with a short nod, my leg still bouncing. Alma comes in shortly after.

"Sorry that took a minute, the children wouldn't let me be for a moment." She says with a slight chuckle. She takes a seat close beside me glancing only a moment at my leg.

"Now tell me, how have you been?" Alma asks and she moved her hand suddenly on my knee to make it stop, her gaze still on Miss Avocet as she did.

"I've been good along with my wards." And it went on like that. Mainly Alma and her talking and her hand never left my knee. About half an hour in, Miss Avocet glanced at me before speaking towards Alma.

"Alma, there's something I've been needing to discuss with you, but couldn't say it bluntly in the letters." She says and Alma raises an eyebrow.

"And that would be?"

"I was speaking with y/n before you came in and I think it would be best if maybe she left to start a new loop as we are in need of them since Caul collapsed some of them." She says and Alma answers immediately, her tone firm.

"Y/n is not leaving the loop." She says and Miss Avocet sighed.

"I knew you would say that, but listen Alma. So many peculiars are in need of another ymbryne and as rare as they are, this is a very important opportunity." She says and Alma shakes her head.

"She is not leaving." Alma repeats and Miss Avocet seemed to give up her argument.

"Alright, I understand. But if-"

"No, she is not." She says cutting her off which surprised me. There was a moment of silence before Avocet eventually spoke up.

"Please just think about it, y/n." She then says to me and I felt pressured. The thought of all the peculiars that need someone breaks my heart, but so does leaving this loop. Leaving the children and Alma. Alma and Avocet exchange goodbyes before she leaves, my leg bouncing again as soon as she lifted her hand to stand and go over to the door.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~