Chapter 11

Last night I never answered Miss Peregrine. The look I gave her told her enough and I retreated to the bedroom, ignoring the fact that Jacob was in there. Thankfully he wasn't awake.

It was morning now and I knew I was up before Alma was. I get up from the bed and make my way quietly downstairs. If I can't sleep, what's the point staying up there?

I sit on the far edge of the coach and bring my legs up against me as it was somewhat chilly out. I'm not sure how long it was. Maybe an hour or two and I hear the familiar tapping of shoes make their way down.

"Dear, what are you doing up?" She asks and I don't respond. What am I supposed to say? I hear her walk over to me and hesitate a moment before taking me in her arms. The familiar warmth surrounded me and I felt a flurry of emotions run through me. I want to tell her, I do. But why is it so hard to even speak about it? I can't help but move a little further into the warmth, missing the familiar feeling. In response, she sits up beside me on the coach bringing me closer to her as I felt myself slowly breaking. I can't tell her even though I want to. I know she wants to help but why is it so god damn hard.

"Everything is alright, love." She says gently as I lose my composed self. "I promise that you are safe here in the loop. No one can hurt you here."

"What if he finds me here?" I ask, my voice strained as I speak through the tears that fell.

"Who?" She asks and I couldn't answer. I picture the memory of what happened and it makes me tense. I don't want to go back there.

Almas taloned hands gently runs across my back, hoping to loosen up some of the tension but she's unable to. I try to focus on something. Alma, the mantle, the book shelf, the smell of vanilla that surrounded me. I eventually calmed down. My mind regained itself along with my emotions.

"I'm alright. You can leave." I say not wanting to force her to stay if she was busy.

"No, I'm staying." She says firmly as she hugs me tighter.
~~~~~~~~~~