Chapter 28

I couldn't sleep. My thoughts and the events from today were keeping me up. Alma thankfully is getting more sleep and when I glanced over, I smiled when I seen she was still in a deep sleep. I carefully make my way off the bed, taking on last look at Alma before heading downstairs. Every night it's the same. I wake up from a dream and end up staying up the whole night. At least I'm never exhausted.

I quietly went down the steps with only a candle to guide me as I walked towards the living room. There was a book I began reading that distracts my mind, so hopefully I can sleep at least an hour or so. I sit on the chair, not even caring that if I fell asleep it would make my neck hurt more but to be honest, I didn't really care. I propped my legs up on the one arm of the chair, my back leaning on the other as I lay sideways against it, book in my hands and the candle on the table beside me.

An hour or so passed and I still felt wide awake. I try repositioning myself on the chair but it didn't help nor make me any more tired. I froze when I heard footsteps coming down the stairs, praying it wasn't Alma as I would be in big trouble.

"What are you doing up?"

For once I was thankful it was Enoch instead of her.

"I couldn't sleep." I reply and I see him walk into the living room, taking a seat across from me on the couch.

"What are you reading?" He asks and I show him the cover.

"I don't even know, every night I just pick a random book and read it to see if it can bore me to sleep." I say and I hear him laugh a little.

"Just wake Millard and tell him to tell you about his pig research. He'll never shut up." I chuckle at his statement.

"I'll keep that in mind." I say and after a short pause: "What are you doing up anyway?"

"I was originally coming down for a drink but then seen you were up." He says. "Nightmare?"

"How did you know?"

"I can tell. You seem a bit off." He says.

"...off?"

"It was about him, wasn't it?" He says and I open my mouth to say something but when nothing comes I shut it and clench my jaw. He's smart for being an asshole.

"I'm taking that as a yes." He replies. "I wish Miss P just ended him instead of letting him get away. I think she regrets it also."

"I highly doubt that, she doesn't know much about what happened." I respond.

"Knowing Miss P, she wants to and regrets not doing so." He says and another pause followed. "What did he do to you?" He suddenly asks and panic pierces me.

"I-um-Enoch I-"

"He raped you, didn't he?" He says getting awfully straight to the point. I felt tears prick my eyes as I think about what happened and panic pierced my chest making my breathing shallow.

"I should have Miss P just go back and kick his ass." He says under his breath. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought that up like that."

"No, no, it's alright." I say as I hyper focus in on my book.

"Do you need anything?" He asks and I know he was leaving soon and for some reason, I wanted him to stay. He's technically the only person here who knows the whole story, but I couldn't be selfish and have him stay up all night.

"No, I'm alright." I say rather too quickly.

"Do you need me to get Miss P?" He asks and I shake my head as I give him a strained smile.

"I'm alright, Enoch. Thank you." I say and he nods before heading back upstairs. The panic remained but somehow I was able to fall asleep eventually.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Half tempted to make Miss P kick him butt now