Chapter 26

I slowly opened my eyes when I felt something moving against me. When I went to move to look down, I winced from the pain in my neck. I didn't realize that we never layed down, instead I fell asleep sitting up, my head propped on top of hers as she slept laying against my chest. When I felt her move in a bit closer to me I gently rubbed her back to assure her I was still there. The pain in my neck meant nothing, I just wanted to help her. Eventually I drifted off to sleep again.

~~~~~

"Love, wake up."

I woke up yet again only to find myself laying against the navy blue coat of Alma. The smell of vanilla surrounded me more than before. I hum a response to let her know I was awake and go to sit up, but pain shot through my neck and shoulders making me feel stiff. I tried to hide a wince as I brought my hand up to my neck.

"Are you alright?" She asks. I could still see some red around her eyes from last night.

"Yes, I'm fine. Are you?" I reply and she glances down before looking back at me.

"I'm alright." She says as she brushes away my hair from the front. I smile at the touch and she gives me a small grin.

"You're lucky we didn't oversleep." She says and I laugh.

"Knowing you, how would we be able to?" I joke.

"Well, you would make it hard not to." She says and I feel pink rise in my cheeks as I smile. Again, the thought of kissing her comes in mind along with the thought of that night.

"Is something on your mind?" She says suddenly with a tilt of her head and I look back up at her. Her blue eyes skimmed over mine. The whole thought of her took away my pain and I needed to know if she felt the same. Would she? I could tell her, but what if it ruins what we already have? We finally have gotten so close and what if that all gets ruined because of one mistake?

"Dear?"

I look back up to her. This is my one chance, I might as well say it before it gets harder to bring it up again. I push down my nerves and try to say it.

"Alma, can I tell you something?" I ask and she nods as she got visible confused. I take her one taloned hand gently in mine as I rub the top of it. "Can you promise me that you won't be upset with me?" She raises and eyebrow but nods hesitantly.

"Alma, when I first came into the loop, you were the only person able to bring me back to myself. I never spoke to anyone and never wanted to no matter who it was. But when I met you, you helped me more than I could have imagined." I say, my cheeks burning up as her eyes slowly showed worry yet curiosity. "What I'm trying to say is, I-"

"Miss Peregrine!"

I jumped at the sudden interruption and both Alma and I look over to see Emma by the doorway.

"What is it?" She asks and Emma stops to smile at the both of us. I feel myself burning up and growing more flustered as she did. "Miss Bloom."

"Oh sorry, but Millard woke up and is trying to cook and knowing him, that is not a good idea." She explains, the grin gone.

"Oh dear, tell him I will be down in a moment." She says and Emma nods, leaving the doorway. "Now what did you want to tell me?" She then faces me and I shake my head, the confidence from earlier leaving.

"It's nothing, don't worry about it." I say as I drop my hand from hers and stand up from the bed, heading downstairs, tears daring to appear. This is pathetic.

I can't tell her I love her.
~~~~~~~~~~

*evil laugh* you thought she was going to say it, didn't you?