Chapter 39

I shot up in bed after having a horrible dream. It's been like this every night, the same thing replaying in my mind but growing worst each night. I've been losing sleep from it. Or is it because I'm a ymbryne? That might be why I'm never tired despite not getting much sleep.

I glance over to Alma to find her still in a deep sleep making me rethink what I thought. Maybe I am losing too much sleep. I rub my face with my hand. No, I'm fine. I'm completely fine and I'm not even tired.

I'm fine.

I felt Alma move onto her other side, not even bothering to realize she woke up when she didn't feel me on the other side. I attempt to gently and smoothly make my way off the bed, but jump when I hear her behind me.

"Y/n, where are you going?" She asks and I glanced back to see her now sitting up giving me a confused look.

"It's late, go back to bed." I tell her and she tilts her head.

"It is late, so why aren't you in bed?" She retorts and I sigh.

"I can't sleep. I'm just going down stairs for a bit. Get some rest." I say and go to get up when suddenly her taloned hands wrap around my wrist and she pulls me down to where she was then laying on top of me. I felt myself burning up and to top it all off, she planted a small kiss on my lips before propping her chin on my chest.

"Alma, either way I'll be up all night." I say with a slight grin and she nuzzles into me with a hum.

"Well in this case you'll be with me." She says, her voice muffled from my night gown. Her hands rested around mine as she let out a satisfied sigh which I smile at.

~~~~~~~~~

"Miss Peregrine, Miss Bluejay!" Alma and I glance over at the same time. I was busy by the sink and she was writing back to Miss Avocet as she recently found out about my staying in the loop.

"What is it?" I ask, dreading for it to be another unfortunate encounter.

"Come play hide and seek with us!" Claire says and I smile glancing over at Alma.

"We're not too busy, I'm sure we could fit in some time." Alma answers with a supportive nod from me as we exchanged a glance before looking back at Claire.

"I'll go tell the others!" She says excited as she runs out the door and I hear a chuckle from Alma.

"The children love this game." She says as she finished off the letter with her signature. "I know the perfect hiding spot as well. They've never found me once." She says with a wink and stood from her chair, taking my hands as she pulls me outside along the others. Emma goes over the rules, obviously stating that we cannot use our peculiaritys, though that was mainly pointed towards Millard. Olive was the one seeking and quickly everyone ran to find a spot. Alma, surprisingly quick on her heels, grabbed my hand again and quickly ran inside the house and up the stairs dragging me with me. She makes it to what looks to be a spare closet in the guest room. The closet was a bit small but both of us managed to get in if we sat shoulder to shoulder facing opposite ways.

"Since when did you find this was a good hiding spot?" I say with a laugh and I can sense her smile through her voice.

"When you play this with the children so many times you start to learn where to go." She says and there was a slight pause. "Are you comfortable?"

"Yes, well, as comfortable as being in a closet with someone gets." I say and she chuckles. We both immediately went quiet when we heard the children's footsteps outside the door soon then passing by.

"Who knew this game was so nerve wracking." I mutter and she let's out a breathy laugh and leans into me a little. It seemed to be forever until we heard Emma yelling through the house for us to come out.

"Maybe she just ran off with Miss Bluejay. I'll take a bet that's why!" She tells through the house, wanting a reply so she can find us.

"MISS PEREGRINE!" Hugh shouts loudly for her making me jump and I smack my head off the side of the wall where a pole to hang clothes on hung.

"Ow- dammit!" I yell as I cup the side of my head and suddenly the closet door opened.

"Found you both." Emma says with a satified look, especially when she sees how we were laying. After I smacked my head off the pole, I fell back words into her lap. Emma left the opening of the closet, leaving me and Alma there as they went back outside. When she glanced back down at me, I found my cheeks were burning up again.

"I would scold you, but you're simply adorable right now." She says and I go to sit up but she gently lifted my chin, placing her lips against mine with a smile.

"You're making me love this game more and more." She says, her warm breath beating against my lips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~