Chapter 25

My eyes slowly open when I thought I heard something. I'm definitely a light sleeper, so any noise and I'm awake. I look over to my side where surprisingly Alma was still in bed although she didn't seem alright. Her shoulders shook a bit as I noticed her jaw was clenched. She was having a nightmare.

It was odd seeing someone like her be this vulnerable. Most of the time she always has her walls up and avoiding any conversation about herself. Always making people think she's alright when really she could be breaking inside.

I sit up from my side of the bed and walked over to the side she was facing. I kneeled by the edge of the bed, gently brushing a tear away with my thumb when I seen one fall.

"Alma?" I whisper as I gently rubbed her shoulder trying to wake her. She didn't hear me though as she let out a small whimper as it something hurt her. "Alma, wake up. You're alright." I say just a little louder but it didn't work either. I gently shook her shoulder instead. "Hun, wake up." I say and relief flooded me when I seen her blue eyes open. Panic strung through her as she sits up and tried to process where she was. "Alma, I'm right here. Don't worry." I say as I get up to sit on the side of the bed as she tries to calm herself. "Hey, come here." I say gently as I hold my arms out and she leans into me as she let's a shaky sigh out. I rub her back gently as she presses her forehead against my chest.

"Everything's alright." I assure her in hopes it's helping. Whatever it was scared her very bad and I wanted to help her as much as I could. I pull her tighter against me and it makes her shoulders shake less. "I promise everything's okay." I say as I continue to rub her back. I felt hurt from seeing her like this and I wanted to do everything I could to help make her feel better.

"Do you need anything?" I ask to make sure. She shakes her head and takes a shaky breath in.

"Just you." She says her voice barely a whisper and I feel my cheeks heat up a little, but now's not the time. She needs me.

"I'm not leaving anytime soon." I assure her. "Not until you're better." With that a silence followed, but not a bad one. A comforting one. It was just us and our thoughts as my hand ran across her back as she leaned against me.

I bring her closer as I promise I would never leave her no matter what.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#CurrentlyCrying