Chapter 21

~~~~After Reset~~~

When the children went off to bed it was just Alma and I. When we went up the staircase to the direction of the guest bedroom, I went to turn into the room but stopped when I felt her taloned hand take mine.

"You're not staying there tonight, love." She says gently as she takes me a long with her, her hand wrapped in mine. She leads me to her room, shutting the door behind us.

"You may change in here if you would like, I will go change in the bathroom." She says.

"I don't have any extra outfits at the moment." I say my voice fading near the end and she gives me a warm smile.

"Not a problem, dear. You may just borrow one of mine." She says, leaving the familiar warmth spread across my cheeks. She hands me one of her nightgowns that she took out of her drawer before making her way to her bathroom. When I changed into her nightgown, I was surprised that if fit since Alma is a bit taller than me. The scent of vanilla drafted from the light dress causing me to feel flustered. I fold and sit my others clothes aside before sitting on the edge of the bed, right when Alma came out.

"Does it fit alright? I can find something else if it doesn't." She asks and I noticed she was wearing almost the same exact night gown.

"It fits." I say with a small grin that she returns. She walked over to the side of the bed, taking a seat beside me.

"Do you need anything?" She asks and I laugh a little.

"Alma, I'm fine." I say, surprised at how much she worried. She doesn't smile though, her lips still in a thin line as her eyebrows creased in worry. "Stop worrying about me."

"It's hard not to." She says quietly. A long silence erupted before I hear her sigh. "You should get some rest." She says.

"You should too." I reply and she gives me an exasperated smile.

"Now don't go worrying about me." She says gently.

"It's hard not to." I quote from earlier and she chuckles.

"Go to bed." She says with a small laugh that makes my chest swell. Her blue eyes meet mine as I feel a smile forming.

"Alright." I say and both of us lay down as she turns off the lamp.

A part of me wished that I admitted everything.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Was that a cliff hanger I see? 👀