Chapter 46

I could tell the sun was up and slowly opened my eyes, them burning when I do and feeling heavy. I was pressed against Alma, her coat the sweet smell of vanilla that was comforting.

"Hey little bird." She says, her voice gentle. She places a long soft kiss on my forehead before pulling away and brushing my hair away with her hand. "Go back to sleep."

"I'm okay, don't worry." I say gently, knowing I won't be able to go back to bed. I wanted to help her, to make up for what happened. I feel as if I'm more of her chore.

"Stop pretending you're okay because I know you're not." She says, her voice suddenly gradually getting firm as her eye brows knit in together. Her expression softened though afterwards and she let out a small sigh. "Everything is alright. I will be right here if you need me. Now, go back to sleep love." A few minutes passed but I failed to fall asleep. I couldn't.

"Can't fall asleep?" Alma asks and I nod. She sits up and I thought she was upset, but she wasn't. "I'm going to get you something warm to drink. I will be right back."

~~~~~

Alma came down probably half an hour later and I thought for sure she left, until I heard her barge through the door with a mug in her hand.

"Sorry that took a while. The children were awake and I had to make them something to eat." She says as she comes over to the side of the bed and takes a seat. I sit up, gently taking the mug from her and the smell of tea adding more comfort to the room. I take a small sip, thankful it wasn't scalding hot. Immediately I started feeling more tired than before and Alma gives me a worried smile.

"I had to put just a small amount of sleep medicine in it." She says and I give her a confused look. "It wears off in about 4 hours."

"4 hours? Alma, I don't need that much sleep." I argue but she shakes her head.

"Yes, you do." She says and I finish the rest of the small mug of tea. I felt myself growing more and more tired and Alma gently pushes me on to the bed, laying on top of me for a moment.

"I would yell at you if I had the energy." I mumble and she chuckles as she runs her talons through my hair. "No, I love you too much to be mad." I add and she smiles warmly.

"I love you, little bird." She says and eventually the medicine kicked in and I slowly drifted off.

~~~Time skip~~~~

"Hey bluebird." I say as I come up from behind her and give her a hug. I will admit I feel much better after getting more rest than usual and mentally felt better.

"Hey love." She says. "Feeling better?"

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but you were right. I do feel much better." I say with a grin and she smiles as she turns from the window, her pipe in her hand.

"Did I hear you wrong?" She asks with a smirk and I jokingly roll my eyes. "Did you just say I was right?"

"Oh don't rub it in." I say with a smile and she chuckles as she plants a kiss on my forehead, her hand tilting my chin up.

"The children want to go to the beach today. I told them I would first speak with you once you were awake if you wanted to come along." She says.

"Of course I would!" I say excited at the thought and she smiles even more at my reaction. "I just don't have a swimsuit though so I'll have to stay on the beach."

"I'm sure I could find you one that will work." She says and I blush at the thought, making her laugh.

"You're adorable when you get flustered." She says, a grin still showing as she leaves to go upstairs, the smoke of her pipe trailing with her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update: Next chapter will be the last as I can't make this book too long lol