Chapter 35

I woke up abruptly when I heard something perch beside me. I completely forgot I was in Cairn Holm. My feathers were still ruffled from the rain and I looked over to see a peregrine falcon. It was Miss Peregrine.

She holds out a wing that after a quick glance I moved into, the sudden warmth hitting me. I noticed the rain stopped but a slight breeze went by and the fog was still there. I felt her nudge the side of me as she tilted her head towards the direction of the loop. I hesitated for a moment, but when she flew off the side of the shed, I followed. We flew quickly to the loop, me lagging behind a little. One, because she was more fast than me being a falcon and two, exhaustion was taking over my previous state. We stopped when we made it to the cave entrance and she shifted back.

"Y/n, you scared me! I thought I lost you." She scolds me as she picks me up with her hands. She looks me over, her eyes showing worry.

"You're freezing." She mumbles, more so to herself before bringing me close to her chest as she walks into the loop. I felt the sudden atmosphere change, from a foggy cold to a warm sunny afternoon. She tries to smooth down my feathers as she makes her way to the front of the home. She pushes the door open and shuts it gently behind her as she makes her way to her bedroom upstairs. She then places me carefully on the bed before entering the bathroom to grab a few things. I kept shivering from the moment we entered the loop.

She brings out a towel along with what looked to be medicine and sits it on the side of the bed.

"Can you shift back?" She asks as she wraps the towel around me and I easily changed back. My clothes were drenched and my hair was still wet from the rain. "I'm going to find you something new to wear, alright?" She says and I nod. She walks over to her dresser and finds an outfit I could wear. It was a white button up with a long sleeve grey coat. It was the only thing that wasn't navy blue that she owned. Along with that she pulled out a pair of navy blue slacks. She brings them over and sits them on the side with the medicine before casting a glance at me.

"Do you need help changing?" She asks and I was too tired to feel flustered about what she said. I simply nodded and she came over in front of me, placing the back of her hand to my forehead. "You feel awfully warm." She says as her mouth moves to a thin line. She looks at me for assurance as she slowly unbuttons the front of my shirt and brings it down off my arms. She then gently brings down the sides of my pants as she takes them off before standing again to get the clothes on the bed. She seemed unfazed as she did. Either it was because of the fever or of the events that happened, but I slowly felt myself breaking inside. Alma noticed and didn't bother with the clothes first as she took me in her arms and sat on the edge of the bed with me.

"I'm sorry...I didn't mean to leave...I'm sorry." I say in between the tears that fell and she only brings me closer.

"Dear stop, there is no need to apologize." She says as she runs her taloned fingers across my bare back. I felt so warm it was making my vision a bit off, yet my shivering wouldn't die down. She moves both of us close to the headboard of the bed as she brings me down with her on the bed. Her hand runs through my hair as she props her head on top of mine as I lay on my side. I try to bring the covers up but she stops me with a gentle scolding look in her eyes.

"Love, you have to let the fever die down first." She says and I feel myself growing tired. "Get some rest, everything is okay."

With that, I close my eyes and enter a deep sleep.
~~~~~~~~~~

I promise things will be getting better for them