Chapter 18

I thought he was leaving today. It's been one day. He promised he would only stay for one day. I let out a quiet shuddery sigh as I pick up the glass of water at the table. At least I didn't have to sit beside him today.

"So Alex, when do you plan on leaving?" Enoch asks receiving a glare from Alma as we all sit at the dining table for breakfast.

"Possibly tomorrow, if that's alright with Miss Peregrine." He says politely with a  grin as he glances over at her.

"Of course, stay as long as you need." She says and a twinge of panic hits me. If he stays for god knows how long, he could do anything. What if he-

"That shouldn't be too long though, right?" Millard pushes and I can feel his panic when Miss Peregrine gave him a glare as well. "Not to sound rude." He quickly adds and Alex laughs a little that sends a chill through me.

"It shouldn't be too long. My plan is to leave tomorrow as I need to continue my trip." He explains and I could almost feel Millards relief when Alma looked away from him to now me.

"Dear, aren't you hungry?" I didn't notice that I haven't been eating the whole time and now that I did realize, I definitely didn't want to eat.

"She's just nervous about something like she always is." Alex says and Miss Peregrine narrows her eyes at him as she looks over at him sharply.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She says firmly. You would have to be an idiot to not notice that she was upset by what he said.

"Miss Peregrine, you know what he meant." Emma says sharply before gazing down at her plate, knowing she shouldn't have snapped. I could tell Alex's presence was making everyone uncomfortable after the comment and even Alma was. A few moments later she stood up from her seat.

"Everyone take your plate to the sink and then head outside. I have to have a discussion with y/n." She says and my stomach twists when she put me on the spot.

"Miss Peregrine, may I have a word with-" Alex begins but Alma sharply cuts him off with a glare.

"Alone." She says and he nods before leaving. Alma watched him closely as he left through the door before casting her gaze to me who was still seated at the table looking down at my plate.

"What was that about?" She says and I thought she was scolding me for a moment and panic along with guilt sliced through me like a knife.

"I'm sorry, I didn't-"

"Y/n, no. Not that." She says her voice more gentle and I knew what she was asking. I look up from my plate and face her, my eyes glazing over that I knew it was noticible.

Say it y/n, now's your chance! But the words don't come out, I can't get them out. My only chance for a call of help and I just can't do it.

"If you're not going to tell me I will just find out myself." She says firmly and I give her a confused yet panicked look. "I will just ask him myself."

"No Alma, don't." I say my voice rather firm than it was before yet it shook just a bit.

"Then tell me y/n." She responds, as concern drapes over her. There was a long moment of silence as we both exchanged glances, hers full of unnecessary worry. My throat felt like it was closing up.

"I can't."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alex is acting kind of strange 👀