Chapter 12

"Shush, Hugh. You'll wake them."

I hear a familiar voice say from the doorway that I immediately took as Emma. I move in closer to whatever was keeping me warm and find myself surrounded by a navy blue. My cheeks suddenly burn as I realize I was on top of Alma. When did I fall asleep? I hope I didn't keep her waiting. I pretend to still be asleep as the children walk off and look towards Alma. She was still asleep, her demeanor peaceful as her arms wrap around my waist as I layed on top of her, my head near her chest. I prop my chin up on her, taking in the moment. She looked just as gorgeous as she does when she's awake. I smile a little at the thought.

I relaxed as I kept my gaze and slowly lifted my hand, brushing a strand of raven blue hair away from her cheek. She stirred a moment under the touch and I recoiled my hand, feeling a bit guilty since I woke her.

"Well good morning to you as well." She says as she pulls her hands away from me and stretches, not seeming to notice I was on top of her.

"Good morning." I say gently and she smile as she brushes her thumb against the side of my cheek. There was a small moment of silence as we both looked each other warmly in the eyes and I thought for a moment I felt myself lean in closer. Her eyes darted to my lips for a moment before back at me.

"Miss Peregrine!" The moment was interrupted as I quickly moved off the top of her and she sits up.

"What is it Hugh?" She asks and he points towards the door. "You didn't see anything weird this morning, did you?"

"Yes. No. Maybe? I don't know." He says as he fumbles for an answer.

"Are you aware you just gave every possible response to that question?" He walks off and Miss Peregrine stands to follow him, me shortly following behind both of them. He leads us to the door and I noticed all the children came back inside making me wonder if they do this every time someone new to the loop comes. My guess is that they do. A knock on the door causes Alma to slowly open it before fully.

"Good morning. Apologies if this is unexpected." I recognize the voice.

I can't believe it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~