Chapter 38

~~~Time skip to the next night~~

My fever left eventually and I felt way better than I did before. I helped Alma with getting dinner prepared and cleaning up afterwards and the children requested I helped tuck them in along with Alma. Afterwards we both went straight to Almas room where she and I changed into our nightgowns.

"I'm wide awake." I say as I flop backwards onto the bed and I hear her chuckle.

"That's one struggle of being a ymbryne. Well, for someone it could be a struggle, others might enjoy it though." She says and groan as I rub my face, not realizing the pink that spread across her cheeks when I did.

"I for one don't." I say and I smell the vanilla of her nightgown as she lays beside me, the lamp on her nightstand the only light on.

"You'll get used to it, little bird." She says.

"What was that?" I ask with a grin and she smirks, suddenly straddling the top if me.

"What was what, little bird?" She says, her voice husky against my ear and the warmth from her breath beated against it. Her hands find their way to my waist and I feel the weight of them on my sides, her talons gently pressing into them. She brings her lips on top of mine and a small noise escapes the back of my throat causing her talons to dig in a little more. She plants them down the side of my jaw and slowly makes her way down my neck, the same as she did the other day. Except this time, her lips were a little more firm yet soft against my skin. Her hands moved a little with each one as they made their way up from my waist. When they nearly made their way to my chest, I suddenly grabbed her wrists and stopped her. I could picture the last time this happened and as much as I know she wouldn't do anything without my permission, I didn't like the thought especially this sudden.

She brings her gaze over to me and suddenly stops noticing the change in the mood. God damnit why can't I learn to grow up. I bring my hand up and run it through my hair, frustrated with myself.

"Hey, love, it's alright." Alma says and the tone of her voice was enough to almost have me break. She brings her hand to the side of my face, rubbing her thumb gently against it. "Hey, look at me." My eyes meet her blue ones that radiated comfort.

"There is no need to rush things. Don't get upset with yourself, it's alright." She says and I nod, not really believing it. "I love you, little bird." She says and her voice was soft yet firm as if to assure me. "Take your time and don't feel forced to do anything you're not ready for."

"I would be ready if I could just forget about him. It's stupid to even think why I'm still upset over it." I say and she looks me firmly in the eye.

"Y/n." She says and her firm tone sends a shiver through me. "You are not stupid. It's understandable why you're still remembering what happened."

"I just can't get over it! It's been 2 years and I can't even learn to get over it." I say, still upset with myself.

"Y/n, everyone has their own way of healing. Take your time with this." She says as she runs her hand through my hair. I wouldn't say anything, but I still knew it was childish to act like this. I need to grow up and get over it.

"You're not listening to me, are you?" Alma says when she sees my look and I sigh in defeat. "You are not stupid, y/n. I love you." She says and I sigh before I let a small smile slip.

"I don't deserve you, Alma. I love you too." I say and she frowns at the wording.

"Y/n, you deserve every good thing in this world. You've had things you did not deserve thrown at you and yet you overcame them, even if the memories didn't go. When you first came through the loop, you never spoke more than a word towards me and now you have become practically another headmistress to the children. I'm proud of you, y/n, and don't ever think that you don't deserve anything good that happens to you." Alma says and gives me a long kiss on the lips that I happily return.

By the birds, I love this woman.
~~~~~~~~~~~~