Chapter 8

"Miss Peregrine." We both glance over to find Enoch by the bottom of the stairs. His usual demeanor was there as he gave me a glare and his gaze moved to Miss Peregrine.

"Could I talk to you?" He says and Alma exchanges a confused glance with me before at him.

"Yes, what is it?" She asks.

"In private, I meant." He says and I could feel his cold gaze on me. Miss Peregrine seemed confused but turned the sink water off.

"Of course. Y/n, could you keep an eye on the others outside?" I nod and she gave me a comforting look before leaving with Enoch. I make my way outside and Jacob walks with me as we both keep an eye out on everyone. He understands I don't say much, but he still seemed to enjoy the company with me.

•••Almas POV•••

"What is it, Mr O'Connor?" I ask as I shut the door to my office.

"It's about y/n." He says simply and I raise an eyebrow at this. "Don't you think it's odd how quiet she is all the time? What if she's hiding something?"

"She is not hiding anything." I say sternly.

"Then why is she so silent all the time?"

"It could be for multiple reasons." I say, growing more protective over her.

"What if she's leading us into some sort of trap?" He argues.

"Mr O'Connor, I can assure you that she is not leading us into a trap. She is our guest here." I say my voice firm and he must know it was the end of the argument. "Now why don't you head outside with the others, alright?"

He nods and walks out of the door.

•••y/ns POV•••

I heard everything. I meant to come inside and just quick ask her something but after hearing what Enoch said, I left without them knowing I was there. I couldn't help but eavesdrop and now I wish I didn't. But maybe it was best I knew how he felt about me staying. What if that's how everyone felt? What is Miss Peregrine even felt that way? She wouldn't admit it, but what if she did?

I bite the bottom of my lip as I pace around outside and try to avoid seeing Enoch as he walked outside and went over to Olive. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned everyone against me in one week.

"Is something wrong, y/n?"

Emma was behind me and I wondered how long she was standing there. I look over and she was holding a rope that was draped over her arm as she gave me a confused look. I give her a decent smile and shook my head.

"Alright. Could you help me with this while we're over here?" She hands me the rope after I nod and I give her a confused look. "Just wait and see. Oh, and hold on tight." She says with a gentle smile as she tied the rope around her waist and handed me the end of it. She then kneeled down and unbuckled her lead shoes before giving me the same smile as before. She suddenly started levitating up towards the branch of a tree and I see her swiftly grab the end of it as she caught what seemed to be a squirrel on the way up. The peculiars told me about their gifts, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

She made her way back down and I helped by gently tugging the rope. She quickly buckled her shoes back on and gave me a smile as she untied the rope.

"That was amazing." I say and she looks over at me, either surprised I said something or- well, it might just be that.

"Thank you." She says and smiles when I do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
I didn't realize till now that I didn't give y/ns exact age in this book😭
So for all of you possibly wondering what it is, she is 26 in the book