weekend gateaway, pt. 1.

Friday, 8.30 AM

Tom's POV

When I woke up, Pearl wasn't next to me, she had already left for work.

I got up from the bed still feeling sleepy and with an atrocious headache, caused by the drugs I took the previous morning, behind Pearl's back.

That morning, however, I felt strangely calm, I didn't feel the usual need to get high that I felt every single morning.

I took the photo album Pearl made for me the day before, and I started to look through it, for the third time in barely a day.
I smiled at all the photos, all the memories, the bad ones and the good ones, and most of all I smiled at the fact that Pearl wasn't giving up on me the way I expected her to do.

After looking at all the photos again, I put the album back on the nightstand and I stood up from the bed to get ready.

After having a quick shower and putting my usual sweatpants on, which I used when I stayed in the house, I went downstairs to have breakfast, but as soon as I sat down on the kitchen table I felt a vibration coming from my phone.

I took it out of the pocket, and I saw a text from Brad pop out on the screen.

'Good morning Tom, same dose today?', he texted me.

I stared at the screen, putting the phone on the table in front of me.
Suddenly, I felt the temptation growing inside of me, right when I thought I was finally starting to get better.

I was ready to text him when I would've met up with him, that I would've immediately ran to my car to meet him at that usual bar, to buy that usual sachet, to seek refuge in that usual feeling the drugs gave me, but I didn't.

Every day that went by, being sober was weighing on me more and more; I felt sad, hopeless, worthless.
It was difficult to just get out of bed and wash myself.
The only strength I had left in me, I found it in Pearl, however each time I woke up without her by my side I felt myself collapsing into the bed, physically unable to get up because of the weight I felt inside of my chest.

It was time to quit, I wouldn't have gotten better if I continued using what ruined me in the first place, despite the only few moments of serenity I felt thanks to the drugs.

And I wouldn't have been able to truly quit, once and for all, if I didn't at least try.

'No Brad, I'm good for this weekend', I texted him back.
Weekends were the hardest for me, as me, Pearl and the others often went out in the city, followed by paparazzis and fans.
It made feel anxious, and I couldn't go out again, at least for a few days.

That weekend would've been different, I knew exactly what I needed to do to distract myself and to distract Pearl, who deserved it more than anybody else.

1.30 P.M.

Pearl's POV

'Good, you're here', Tom said smiling as soon as I set foot in the house, and without giving me the time to close the front door, he ran to me lifting me up in his arms, while turning on his feet.

A few seconds after he put me back to the ground, stroking my hair.

'I made some sandwiches you can eat in the car', he said, and I looked at him confused.
However, I didn't have to time to ask him what was going on, when he stepped closer to the sofa, taking two suitcases which were laying on top of it.

'What are those?', I asked him pointing to them, while Tom took his car keys off the table.

'Suitcases', he simply replied, taking them in his hands and walking towards the front door.