home.

Tom's POV

9.00 AM

I didn't sleep at all that night: the thought of Pearl being in the same house, alone with Christian, kept me up all night, preventing me from getting any rest.

I rolled in my bed for about an hour, before giving up on trying to sleep and taking my phone from the floor.

I called Pearl, in hope to hear her voice, but she didn't pick up.
I called her a second time, then a third, a fourth: nothing.

'Fuck', I whispered to myself, rubbing my face with my hand.

Sighing, I dialled Christian's number.

'Hello', he replied from the other end of the phone.

'Hi, is, -uhm-, is everything okay?', I asked him.

'Yeah, I was just about to leave.'

'Okay', I said, feeling a wave of relief inside of me.
'Is Pearl okay? She didn't answer my calls.'

'Yeah, she's sleeping.'

'Okay.'

'Look, Tom', he sighed.

'Yes?'

'Last night I woke up to drink a glass of water, and when I went downstairs I found Pearl asleep in the garden', he said, as I sat on the bed, looking out of window.

'What happened?', I asked him, beginning to worry.
Pearl had that talent, - making me worry about her everyday.
Or maybe it was me, who loved her so much that I worried every single second of everyday.
Either way, I couldn't bear being away from her any longer.

'I don't know', he answered, 'I just found her laying on the grass. I took her to her room and now she's still sleeping.
'I think she smoked something.'

'Fucking hell', I whispered, standing up from the bed and walking into the bathroom.

'Alright, thank you for taking care of her', I said, as I leaned against the sink.

'Don't worry, I'd do it again for her', he said, which made my blood boil.

'Right', I answered.
'Call me if anything happens', I said, as I hung up.

I took a quick shower and put on some clothes, before running out of my room and banging on Jessie's office door.
It was clear what I needed to do: I needed to go home.

'Oh, good morning Tom', Jessie replied with her usual cheerful voice.

'I need to talk to you', I answered, walking into her room and waiting for her to close the door.

'I'm listening', she said, raising an eyebrow.

'I need to go home.'

'Absolutely not', she cut me off, raising her hand right in front of my face, which made me even angrier.

'But I need to be with Pearl, she's not okay', I protested, walking back and forth in the office.

'And I get that, but she should come to me. And you need to stay here', she insisted, going back to sit behind her desk.

'She needs me right now, and I will not leave her', I exclaimed, putting my hands on her desk and bending towards her, as if I wanted to make my words as clear as I could.

'I'm not asking you to leave her, you should be there for her. From a distance', she replied, calmly laying her back on her chair.

I looked at her with hatred in my eyes, as I pushed myself away from the desk, walking towards the door.