the end.

Pearl's POV

Monday, 7.00 A.M.

The sound of the alarm ringing felt like a thousand needles piercing in my brain.

I quickly turned it off, in a sigh, as I slowly opened my eyes to adjust to the day light.

The events of the previous night started to play themeselves again in my head, making it hurt more and more as I began to wake up.

I turned to my left and saw that Tom was already awake, smoking in the terrace.

I wanted to walk up to him, make him comfort me like I knew he wanted to, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.
I was ashamed of what I had done to their house, as I couldn't even look into his eyes.

I got up as fast as I could, even though I felt a heavy weight in my stomach, and I walked over to the bathroom.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror: pale skin, cuts and bruises all over my hands, legs, and some on my cheeks.

I shook my head and bit my tongue to try not cry at the mere thought of having to go to work in those conditions, as I started to brush my teeth.

When I walked back into the room, Tom was walking back as well, while he locked eyes with me.

I could see in his gaze that he was tired, as I figured he hadn't slept much the previous night.

'Good morning, baby', he whispered and slowly approached me, unsure whether he could touch me or not.

I was surely not the easiest when it came to being there for me, but I would have never prohibited Tom from touching me, therefore I opened my arms to let him know he could have hugged me.

As soon as I did that, he sprinted over to me and squeezed me to his chest, gently stroking my hair.

I rested my head on his shoulder and let his scent fill me up, which was the only thing that could calm me down.

'How are you feeling?', he asked while he kept me in his arms.

'What am I supposed to feel?'

'I don't know', he sighed.
As sincere as his response was, it didn't give any kind of hope.

After a few minutes in his arms, I decided to finally back away and start getting ready.

Tom sat back on the bed as I put my clothes on, and he stared at me like I was some sort of alien.

'What?', I asked him, while putting my shoes on.

'Where are you going?'

'To work? Where else am I supposed to go?', I said as I stood back up and grabbed my purse.

Tom, however, stopped me before I could take another step, grabbing me by my wrist and making me turn around to face him.

'Don't you think it's best if you rest, for today?', he asked, hopeful that I would listen to him.

'No, Tom. I have already been missing for too many days, they're going to fire me if I call in sick again', I answered, but his grip did not loosen.

'And? Let them do it', he shrugged his shoulders, as I felt myself getting angrier.

'I need the money, Tom, and you know it', I crossed my arms to my chest as I said those words.
'I refuse to stay at home and do nothing while you're the only one providing for me, you know I'm not like that.'

'You wouldn't be doing nothing', he insisted, 'you could stay home and be a full time student.'

'Tom, I need the money', I repeated.