promise.

Pearl's POV

Mia's room smelled like vanilla, her walls were covered with pictures, and her sheets were of a barbie pink colour.
It was, in all aspects, a room of a typical fourteen years old girl, with the only exception that it wasn't her room, it was a rehab centre room.

I walked closer to the wall right next to the window, observing some of the pictures hanging on them.
They were all portraying her and her boyfriend.

'This is Alex', she said, walking to me, pointing to the boy who was hugging her in the photo.

I smiled, as I kept on looking at the photos.

'How long have you two been together?', I asked her, turning to her.

'Four months now', she sat back on the bed, beckoning me to imitate her.

I sat in front of her, crossing my legs and looking at her attentively.

'So, you've been here for four months?, I asked her, as she nodded.

'Well, a little longer than that. It's been five months in total', Mia took a packet of cigarettes off of her nightstand and she lit up one, offering me one which I refused.
My heart broke seeing a girl that age smoking, and knowing she was in that place because of her addiction, but I couldn't fully blame her.
I once was the same person she was, when I was her age.

'Mia, why are you here?', I asked, even if I already knew the answer.

Mia took a puff of her cigarette, smiling.

'I guess he already told you why', she said, continuing on smoking, 'I think that your question is more why I did drugs, isn't it?'

I was taken aback from her answer, as I simply nodded.

'You don't have to tell me if you don't want to', I specified, 'it's just sad to me how a kid like you or Alex ended up here.'

'I know, it was sad for me as well at first', she stood up from the bed and got closer to the window, slowly opening it.

'You know, Pearl, sometimes people age faster than they need to', she started to speak, resting her elbows on the edge of the window.
'I've been abused by older men since I was 10, I guess doing drugs was the only thing that gave me relief from the disgust I was feeling inside.'

I slowly stood up from the bed, approaching her, while listening to every one of her words.

'But now I know I did the wrong thing', she threw her cigarette out of the window, looking at the sky.
'It's frustrating, you know. To think that you'll never belong in this world, and then the only thing that makes you feel free almost kills you', she said with a smile, turning to me.

I looked into her eyes, trying as hard as I could to smile, to give her comfort.
I rested my head on her shoulder, looking at the blue sky.

'It gets better, Mia, it really does', I whispered.

'Did it get better for you?', she asked, and I nodded.

'It got better when Tom started to stick by my side', I lifted my head from her, smiling, 'I'm sure you feel the same way about Alex.'

I saw her smile getting even wider, while she chuckled.

'He does, and I want to stick by his side too. Look', she gently lifted her sleeve up, showing the little 'A' she had tattooed on her wrist.

I took her wrist in my hands, gently stroking it and observing the numerous healed scars she had on her skin.
Once again, I felt the tears stopping in my throat, but I didn't say anything, I didn't want to pressure her.