a new life.

Wednesday, 10.00 A.M.

Jocy's apartment was warm, cozy and welcoming.
It wasn't the biggest in the city, but it was breathtaking.

It had a rather big living room with black couches and white forniture, a small kitchen right next to the entrance, and on the first floor there was a spare room in which I slept.

Jocy was nice enough to let me stay in her apartment, while I drove back and forth from there to the campus to find a dorm.

I had been living with her for a couple of days, when the office finally called me to let me know they might've found a dorm for me.

I rejected Jocy's offer to stay with her, as I didn't want to bother her longer than I already did.
Besides, I felt like I needed to distance myself, at least for a while.

Wednesday's morning, I drove in the city to see my new dorm and where I would've spent the rest of my school days.
I should've been sad for losing the comfort I had when I was with Tom, but I wasn't.
I was still hurt, of course, but I felt too numb to truly feel depressed.

I parked a few blocks away from campus, and walked there, with my headphones in my ears.
That morning I was completely sober, as I wanted to make a good impression in order to get that dorm, but I was already starting to regret it.
The simplest tasks, -such as driving, walking, interacting with people, - felt like climbing a mountain barefoot.

The campus wasn't as crowded as usual, when I arrived, but I guessed everyone was studying for their exams in their dorms.
In a weird way, I felt happy to live on campus, or at least whatever came closest to feeling happiness.
That meant I could've finally build a life by myself, - no more Tom, no more mom or dad, just me by myself.

The nice lady that had called me the same morning greeted me in her office, and she walked me to my new dorm as soon as I arrived.

'It's not the biggest dorm on campus', the red-headed lady said, as we walked in a hallway full of closed doors.
'But it is nice, and it's still a roof on your head.'

She took the key of the door out of her pocket, and unlocked it, letting me in first.

It surely wasn't the best place I had ever seen, but it was something: a small bed on the left, a closet right in front of it, a table on the right, and a tall window in the wall in front of me.

I stepped inside, taking a better look at it.
On the right there was another wooden door, which was the bathroom.
The bathroom wasn't as big as well, but it had a beautiful bathtub.

'So', the lady spoke after letting me examine the room.
'You just have to sing a few paperwork, and then you can move in as soon as you want.'

I nodded, and we stepped outside of the room to walk back to her office.
I signed everything she needed, and she gave me the keys right after.

I already had everything I owned sealed in a few boxes that where in my trunk, therefore I ran back to my car and started to take things out of it.

Walking back and forth to my car and the campus with those heavy boxes wasn't as easy as I thought it was.
I puffed and ran, trying not to let the box I had in my hands slip, but I wasn't quick enough.

I dropped the box, making all the books inside of it fall on the grass.
I took a deep breath and bent down to gather all the books, before anyone could see me having a mental breakdown over a stupid box.

'Need a hand?', a familiar voice said, as I saw a pair of white shoes walking up to me.

I looked up, and saw Christian kindly smile at me.