Chapter - 6

Avni was dismayed to find out that Karan wasn't at the breakfast table with the others. Her first thought had been that he had skipped because of her. That he hadn't wanted to sit at the same table with the person who had been responsible for the scolding he had got in the morning majorly because of her own foolishness and fear. It was later that Manya had informed her that he never took any meals with them. He stayed at his house and ate there as well. He only visited when he was invited for a party or it was a special occasion and even then he would never stay for long. She had found it weird but she hadn't asked further. She didn't want to be deemed as nosy. But she was reminded about the conversation between Nilakshi and Karan the reference to how Tej uncle would react and the answer Karan had given. Then the conversation between Nilakshi and Manya. Maybe the father son duo weren't very close. Maybe there was a personal tussle between the two. Why was she thinking so much or reading so much into the situation? It was better to stay out of whatever their family problems were. She was here for a purpose and it would be better for her to concentrate on that.

She went out the door Manya had showed her earlier. She needed to apologize to Karan for the incident that had taken place in the morning. He had sounded grumpy and impatient. But her main concern were the dogs. She hoped for her sake and theirs that they were leashed or somewhere where they couldn't reach her. Pushing her fear away she went towards the stone steps she had seen before. For a second she paused peering through the thick branches of the pine trees that surrounded the area. Should she? She was bad at talking to people and worse at talking to strangers especially if they were the angry sorts and from what she had gathered from Karan's tone in the morning he was different from his brother and sister.

Speaking of which she couldn't cope with Uday either. His constant jokes, teasing and flirtations were hard to keep up with. She had already deduced that was how he was. Easygoing, carefree and a thorough tease. No matter who spoke to him he would never give a serious reply. Just last night he had been rebuked and this morning again at breakfast table he had faced another censure but it didn't seem to faze him at all. He had left the house whistling away a silly tune and Nilakshi aunty had been irritated beyond measure. Apparently Uday worked seven days a week considering his choice of business. She had better understanding of it today. He had his own adventure sports company with a variety of activities the tourists could pick and choose. Since he was really good at it his company worked round the year to provide the best deals and safe adventure sports like white water rafting, trekking, hiking, camping, paragliding, bungee jumping, you name it he had it churning out a decent turnover every year. He was a busy guy. Anyway for now she should concentrate on what she was going to tell Karan. She took in a deep breath and went down the steps.

She walked on the stone pathway towards the house slowly looking around cautiously. She kept reminding herself if the dogs were free and roaming around and happened to spot her she should stay calm and stand where she was. But what if Karan wasn't home either and the dogs were loose. What would she do then? She hoped that was not the case and went ahead sending up a quick prayer.

As she approached the house it looked deserted. She slowed her steps even more wondering if she should go forward or return and come later. She chewed on her lip in nervousness. It was a beautiful house with a beautiful red foliage around the front steps. The deck in front of the house was made of wood with wooden railings and the entrance was full of glass with wooden beams holding it in place. The extended roof of the entrance was conical in shape. It was a very modern house compared to the traditional one where the others lived. She must have taken another step when she heard someone behind her. She froze on the spot when a familiar and yet not so familiar voice spoke up.

"Looking for a repeat of the morning scene," it said.

She gulped. The tone did not sound friendly in fact it sounded more condescending. She slowly turned to face the man who had carried her this morning when she had fainted. She hadn't known what she had been expecting but not what she saw. He was tall. Really tall. Lean. His arms were casually crossed across his chest but she could see the hard muscled strength beneath the shirt he wore. The sinewy forearms only indicated what else was hidden from the view by the rolled sleeves. His jaw was firm and square with thin well shaped lips, a straight nose and piercing black eyes. His hair was a little long and curved at the nape of his neck. He had a day's growth of stubble and that made him look roguish. Maybe if he shaved he might look a little civilized. The jean he wore was old and faded but it suited him as it fit him to the T. Avni visibly shifted under his penetrating gaze that never wavered from her face. It was as if he could see inside her. What she was thinking or how she was feeling? And that unnerved her. It was not just his eyes it was also his voice. That deep, masculine baritone caused her to shiver. He looked more dangerous than the dogs he kept. How was she ever going to apologize to him? What had she been thinking? She gulped. Everything Avni had ever faced seemed puny compared to now. But now that she was here she had to say what she had come for. And leave. Fast. And never see him again though that seemed an impossibility since she was to stay here till her course finished. She closed her eyes for a second to gather her thoughts.

Only Avni didn't know that this meeting was only a beginning to many more that destiny had planned for her. Whatever she had endured in her young little life this was the place where she will finally find peace and love if she stayed that long.

***********************

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!