Chapter - 42

Karan sat on the swing. Don and Kiser lay at his feet as he gently rocked the swing with his feet. It was a bit chilly tonight but he had never minded the cold. After dinner they had all sat down talking about mundane stuff while on Manya's insistence hot chocolate had been served. Avni had excused herself to her room and his mother had let her be citing she might be tired. Uday had spoken to him extensively about his plans for expanding his business and coming up with a proposal for dad. He had sought his advice and direction and Karan had given it to him. The topic had bored Manya so much she had gone off to sleep on the couch itself. Later Karan had picked her up and taken her to her room and tucked her in. He had sat there at the edge of the bed for some time watching his baby sister sleep comfortably. She had grown up to be a great girl and he hoped she would continue to grow to be an even better person. Then he had wished his mother goodnight and told Uday he would see him tomorrow. After he had returned to his house he had felt restless. He wasn't yet as tired to go off to sleep and so he had gone out and finally decided to sit on the swing for some time.

He heard soft footfalls come round the corner. Don and Kiser both raised their heads before they slowly rose to go greet the visitor. It was Avni. She had a shawl across her shoulders to ward off the chill of the night. She gave him a tentative smile. Then bent to stroke the heads of his dogs. Karan still hadn't gotten over his surprise at how easily she had befriended the dogs. What had moved her from her position of fearing the species so much so she had fainted that first time? Whatever her motivation he was glad he didn't have to keep the poor things on leash now. He liked his freedom and he was sure so did the dogs. Some people said and believed actually that dogs most often took to their master's personalities ingraining similar traits. He neither acknowledged nor countered the beliefs. But yeah his dogs had similar temperament as his.

"Couldn't sleep?" he asked keeping his tone casual.

"No," she replied as she straightened and walked closer to him, "sorry, if you wanted to be alone...I don't want to disturb you," she said softly and put a wayward strand behind her ear.

"You aren't," Karan replied with a faint smile, "want a seat?" he asked as he started to uncoil his long legs in an attempt to stand up.

"No," she said a little urgently, "I don't mind sitting but I don't want you to stand up on my account," she said and looked at her clasped hands.

Karan sensed her hesitation. She didn't want him to give up his seat on the swing to accommodate her.

"Alright," he said carefully. She seemed like that kitten he had likened her to the other time only a bit unsure. "I guess we could share the swing. It can definitely seat two if I am not wrong," he said and gave her a half smile then gestured for her to sit.

She did. Then took in a deep breath.

"It is strange," she said as she looked up in the sky, "how sometimes what we wish for comes true so easily," she said.

Karan wasn't sure what she meant. And since she was so easily spooked he decided to keep shut. As it is he was trying to keep his rudeness in check. What he couldn't control was this feeling of tenderness that washed over him. Her upturned face as she gazed at the star sparkled sky with a half-moon made her look so delicate, so beautiful for a second he felt his breath constrict in his throat. The arch of her neck, the soft glow of the moonlight on her skin, her shining eyes. She looked so soft almost angelic. He looked away as he fought to control the surge of emotions he felt.

"I had wanted to see you and talk," she said quietly.

As Karan looked at her again she was back to looking at her hands now in her lap.

"Go ahead," was all he said. He could see the confusion on her face now so clearly because she sat so close. The small creases as she furrowed her brows for sure trying to come up with the correct words. Why was she always so conscious of what she spoke? He had seen a similar look when he had finished his dinner.