Chapter - 75

"Aren't you hungry?" Karan asked as he watched Avni toy around with the food in her plate.

Avni looked up at him. He had a smile on his face as he watched her but she knew it was for her benefit. He was just as restless on the inside as she was.

"You shouldn't have," she said finally.

They were having brunch together. Manya had refused to divulge anything to her last night when Karan had called. Instead she had announced she would spend the night in her room and that Avni was supposed to go with Karan for breakfast the next day. Nilakshi had come to see her but Manya hadn't let her in neither had she allowed her out. Avni had instinctually known things hadn't gone well between Karan and his parents. And she had been sad about it. Manya had cheered her up then hugged her and cried. For her. It had touched Avni. Manya's simple gesture. No one had ever cried for her before. And she wanted to be a part of this family so bad. She wanted to be loved so bad that she had cried with Manya. Then the girl had promised she would always support her and Karan no matter what anybody said and that alone had made Avni feel better. No matter where she went after this she would always treasure the man she loved and the friends she had made. She knew she would never allow Karan to go against his family definitely not because of her. What he had told her that night she hadn't forgotten. His greatest wish to be reunited with his father and if he went against him for her that wish would never come true. She felt so torn inside she didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Karan sighed. He knew what she was talking about.

"Avni," Karan started but she intervened.

"Karan," she said shaking her head, "you cannot fight your parents over me," she said pleading with him to understand, "I love you don't doubt that, never doubt that but I cannot be with you if they don't give their approval," she said trying to make him understand.

Karan took her hand in his gently.

"Avni I am not fighting with them over you," he said softly, "I am fighting for me and what is right and for what I want the most," he told her making her gasp.

"But..." Avni said then bit her lip trying to keep her emotions in check.

"Avni you have got to understand," he said patiently, "nobody in this world gets what they want if they don't ask for it," he said, "and I am not asking them I am telling them I want to marry you because I love you. It is very simple if you ask me. Why they are making it complicated is what they need to think about not us, don't get me wrong. I know what I am doing. This is something they have done before too" he told her.

Avni thought about what he said and the pain was plain to see. He wasn't hiding it anymore. He was showing her how he really felt deep inside. And she was sure he was referring to the incident that was the reason for the estrangement between him and his father. She sighed.

"Won't you talk to me about it?" she asked softly.

"I will," Karan replied with a sad smile, "just not today," he told her, "you make my life easy Avni," he said letting his emotions show, "you make every day worth living for, your smile brightens my day, you presence brings me peace something I have tried to find for a long time and to make you happy is the new purpose I have found. You complete me in every sense of the word Avni. I cannot let you go. I will not," he said firmly, "I don't care what anyone else has to say about this. I will never find another like you and believe me I am not going to go looking either. So trust me on this and stand by me," he said as his thumb rubbed the back of her small hand.

Avni looked at her hand in his. It was such a contrast. His dark, tanned large hand and her pale small one. His practically engulfed hers. But the touch was so soft, so gentle, so pure. She took in a deep breath. She had heard his conviction, his resolve and his need all in one go. He was so precious. How could she let him go? He was right. One never got anything if one didn't stand up for it. All he was asking of her was support. Trust. Understanding. And spirit. Spirit to fight so they won the odds. She was not a fighter but could she find it in herself just this once to become that someone. His love, his company, his presence made her feel safe, made her dream again, made her want to live again. Wasn't it worth fighting for? His belief in her. Wasn't it reason enough to fight for? Her love for him. The way she felt for him. Her right to be happy. Her right to dream of a happy future, a future she saw with him. She should fight for it. She should be confident in what she felt for him. For once she should believe in life and her destiny. And she would. She will stand by him.

"I trust you Karan," she said with a smile that lit up her whole face and she saw Karan relax suddenly. "No matter what you do where you go you will always find me there, right beside you just as you would be there for me. One promise I can give you today, it doesn't matter if we are together or not you will always be in my heart. Always," she said on a promise and saw his eyes turn soft and warm.

He smiled.

"Now, I guess we can eat," he said teasing her, "I am famished," he told her and attacked the food in his plate. Avni laughed.

Karan was no fool. He knew she would stand by him but she would never go against his parents' wishes. No matter how long it took. She was that sensitive and that loyal. He hoped that his parents would see Avni's strength and accept her. She was back to being normal and he wanted to keep it that way for as long as he could.

Only he didn't know they had yet another hurdle to cross before they reached their destination. But since they had come so far would it be wrong to say they will get past it as well.

***********************

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!